Sign in to follow this  

Sudco part numbers for YZ80 carb parts?

Could someone please give me the Sudco part numbers for the 2.0 slide and the p4 needle jet or number for a needle I could use with the stock needle jet. I have a carb off of a 1995 YZ80 that Im trying to put on a TTR125. When I called Sudco they said I needed the part numbers. They were not very helpful at all.

Could someone please give me the Sudco part numbers for the 2.0 slide and the p4 needle jet or number for a needle I could use with the stock needle jet. I have a carb off of a 1995 YZ80 that Im trying to put on a TTR125. When I called Sudco they said I needed the part numbers. They were not very helpful at all.

Sudco is never friendly unless you get stuck with a nice guy...which rarely happens here. I have a VM28/166, but I wish I could help ya with the YZ80 parts. If I find anything, I will give you the info. 🙂

There is a thread over on the DRZ side. Search for "yz carb", the thread is in there, it's 3 pages. "Who's got there YZ80 carb jetting down". Good info in that one.

The needle jet will be a series 175, as I'm told. I don't know 100%, since mine is still inbound. I ordered the P8 and P4. They are $14 each.

P-8 p/n 003-314

P-6 p/n 003-313

P-4 p/n 003-311

Looking at my sheet, I ordered the 6 and 8, not 4. Oh well.

The needle I'm going to try is thinner than the YZ and a tad shorter. It is the 4L6.

I ordered some pilots too. I'm pretty sure these are the right ones. I'll know 100% by monday, hopefully. On the web site, they look the same.

M28/1001

004-041 (25)

004-596 (27.5)

004-042 (30)

I'm also going to try the stock TTR needle in the YZ carb. It's very close in dimensions, but is a double taper. If I need to run richer on top, I'll try the TTR needle.

If all else fails, a fellow TT'er posted that he used a 300 main and everything else stock. He reports success with a little bog off the bottom. My race bike has the same thing and it's not bad to live with. If I can't get it sorted with what I bought, I'll try that.

That was a good reply...I wish you gave me a chance to do some searching on it...but that saves me some time 🙂

The series 175 is NOT, NOT, NOT the right series needle jet. Not even close, doesn't even look close (web site didn't have pic). Unfortunately they are $11 each and NON returnable.

The pilot was correct.

I will dig up the Yamaha part numbers for the needle and needle jet.

They are available from Yamaha dealers. Old part numbers that are still available.

The 4L6 is a reasonable choice but the 4J13 or 23 is better.

want2race, nice looking bike, and is that the stock pipe heat shield on your FMF pipe? If so, how did you get that to go on the new pipe? 🙂

Can you see that in the Avatar? You can see this one without squinting. The FMF has 3 bungs welded on for the stock heat shield. I only put it back on because I don't want burn marks on my leathers. The bike now has headlight and taillight mounted and working. Looks beefy.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/want2race441/bikewallpaper.jpg

ACS: Thanks. I tried researching the Yamaha parts via their online parts catalogs and at the shop with no luck.

I threw the carb on last night to get an initial feel for the jets I was using. Using the stock needle jet, the 4L6 needle, 27.5 pilot and 205 main the following occured.

1. It started. Most happy about that.

2. With the choke it died immediately.

3. It would stumble when opening the throttle sharply.

4. After bog, it would rev up ok.

5. Put it in gear for a blast down the street and under load it sputtered so bad I nearly didn't get back to the driveway.

6. Raised the needle and put in the 30 pilot (thought it was a lean stumble because the idle stays a tad high after blipping it).

7. 30 pilot, raised needle wrong direction. returned needle to middle and installed 25 pilot. Didn't want to run the bike at 10pm so I'll test that tonight.

The bike acts like it's lean (no smoke, heats up quick), but I have the 200 main in it. I wanted to start on the rich side to avoid any engine damage. I'm keeping tabs on the amount of carbon at the end of the pipe (it's new so it's easy the check).

Right now I'm thinking that with the thin needle and large needle jet I need to drop the main down. I read the stock YZ carb is rich/lean/rich with the stock jets. By going to the thinnest needle I could get, using the stock needle jet I hoped to get a richer mid range, then jet smaller to lean out the bottom and top (from the rich stock settings).

I'm going to keep posting here since we are after the same thing.

I dropped the pilot to a 25, 4L6 on the middle clip position. Started. Seemed to rev up ok so I took it down the street. Throttle response was pretty good. Mid range and top end was pretty strong. Back in the drive way the idle is a little off. The idle settles down ok but when I turn the throttle just a little bit the idle shoots up and hangs for a while. I fiddled with the air/fuel screw, turning it in seemed to make the idle go up. I checked the idle adj. screw, it's backed all the way out. I turned it in untill I noticed the rpm pick up then back it off again.

I raised the needle up one position. The hang idle was still there only now at part throttle it bogs really bad. So that's not it. I would put in a smaller pilot, but I don't have one smaller than 25 (yet).

One more. I lowered the needle to the second from the top clip position.

Sometimes jetting problems aren't jetting problems at all. The idle still hangs a tad but not as bad now since I adjusted the throttle cable. I think I'll look into a #2 slide.

The 200 main is a little large I think. At WOT it has a few chugs. Mid range is still good. Before the engine hits it max operating temp the top end is pretty clean, once it's warm it's a little rich.

These are the two Yamaha part numbers 3R11414140 and 166144613 They were available about a month ago here in Australia. (Thanks to Peter L for the research on the part sucession numbers)

A 25 pilot and 160 - 180 main should be close.

The above numbers are a needle and needle jet that works well in a 150cc TTR125 with cam pipe etc on Aussie fuel. Its a very good starting point for a YZ80 carb.

Other VM Mikuni's may require different main jets due to the air jets in the bellmouth.

Thanks for the numbers. I'm not sure if they are compatible with numbers in the US but I'll check.

One thing that nobody has mentioned, which way did you run the fuel line? I ran mine up and over the frame.

Just got back from a club race with the YSR crowd. Ran the YZ carb all day.

Low and mid range was pretty strong but the top was still too fat, and that was with the 190 I put in before I left.

I have the air screw (two stroke carb, it's an air screw) turned in pretty far. Trying to compensate for a much too large pilot (25 too big).

I just ordered 17.5-22.5 pilots, 4J13 needle and 180, 185 mains. When I came back in from 10 laps the idle was kind of high (hanging a bit) but would eventually drop before I turned it off (5 seconds maybe). I think this is either the #3 slide, or the air screw leaned out too far.

Will post again this weekend when I can test the new jets.

We raced ours this past weekend with a 22.5 pilot and a 140 main jet. Stock needle with clip in the middle. Used a K&N airfilter. The bike ran great. It had a little lean pop when my daughter would let off for the corners.I think I will go up one on the pilot. If you rap the throttle hard it has a small bog but never did it in the race. She also won the thumper 125 class and the youth class with it. So far a $34 carb off ebay we were pretty happy with it.

I ordered it from Chaparral. Its a k&n R1030 filter the Chaparral part number is 340-9510. It cost 31.99 . Fits great works perfect.

Thanks. Do you have an LE? I'm looking at the battery tray, thinking it might be snug.

Can you snap a pic? Price is definitely in the right direction.