Sign in to follow this  

spacer for front sprocket on 05 450r????

🙂 I just ordered ironman sprockets and a X-ring chain for my 05 450r and in my readings in different forums i've seen some posts about people having to put a spacer on the countershaft to keep the x-ring chain from wearing on the case. Does anyone who has an 05 run an x-ring if so did you need a spacer or did it work without one??? any info would be greatly appreciated

You must run the spacer/use 04 outside washer. Chain will eat cases.

Why do you need the 04 washer? What is the difference between the 04 and 05 washer? The 05 I picked up has a 14 tooth sprocket on it and I don't know if the previous owner put a different washer on it or not. How do you tell? I bought the fastway spacer and will put the xring chain on this weekend. Help

The 05 washer is a two-piece design, the 04 is a one piece. Do not use the Fastway spacer on the 05 without the 04 outer washer or bad things happen. Do a search, I think at least two guys have the 05 washer break and cause problems.

James

Thanks James. I found the thread. Gotta go to Lowes and look for a washer later after I go to the Honda dealer for the cupped washer.

T-Diddy

does anyone know the part # for the 04 washer? what is the correct name of the washer?

ok now im confused, what exactly should i be getting, and where is the best place to get it???????

Be aware that with a spacer behind the CS sprocket, you cannot get the sprockets properly aligned. They will not be in the same plane anymore. This means accelerated wear on sprockets and chain.

A bike that needs an added spacer to run a ring chain, was not desinged to run a ring chain.

The part number for the 04 washer is 90501-KA3-741. The question is that if you use the 04 washer then do you still need to make a homemade washer for the end of the countershaft to compensate for the offset from the Fastway - my gut says no?

T-Diddy

Be aware that with a spacer behind the CS sprocket, you cannot get the sprockets properly aligned. They will not be in the same plane anymore. This means accelerated wear on sprockets and chain.

A bike that needs an added spacer to run a ring chain, was not desinged to run a ring chain.

.030 is not enough to make a difference. 🙂

.030 is not enough to make a difference. 🙂

Have to agree w/ you there, about 150 hours on my '03 w/ nothing but Regina or DID o-rings, and I get at least 40 hours per set.

Pure guesstimation on the hours, point being that the spacer causes no discernible wear.

The deal on the '05 CRF 450 countershaft spocket was that when the Fastway spacer is used on the '05 CRF it apparently over collapsed the coned washer that compresses against the countershaft sprocket. The washer would shatter sometimes as it is kind of spring steel. The front sprocket would then try to walk off under operation. The two solutions that were talked about on here were-

1- Buy an '04 CRF countershaft retaining washer as it is different and apparently does not have the same tendency to break when the Fastway spacer is used.

2- Put a washer between the '05 countershaft retaining washer and sprocket that is the same thickness as the Fastway spacer between the countershaft sprocket and the crankcase. This way the stock retaining washer is only compressed as much as it would be if there were no Fastway spacer installed at all.

Clear as mud now? 🙂 I think I confused myself trying to explain. 🙂

Fastway spacers are actually .039"

With over 9000 posts in here and you got over 300 hrs on your chain and sprocket set? Yeah, right.

Fastway spacers are actually .039"

With over 9000 posts in here and you got over 300 hrs on your chain and sprocket set? Yeah, right.

Believe what you want...at least my posts aren't all about chain and sprockets or chain lube. 🙂 I stand corrected, I changed the chain and sprockets at about 275 hours.

I actually ride my bike.

BTW, the spacer I used was .030 - I made it at work.

Jay- just got back from a 50 mile tight woods ride in case you were wondering.