Sign in to follow this  

Wheel Bearings

Do any of you 250X gurus have any tips on replacing wheel bearings?

Can I just warm up the hub with a propane torch and knock out the bearings with a tapered drift pin & hammer?

I noticed that of all the axle/wheel bearings, a total of five, only one of them is sealed. The others are open on the inside.

You don't need to warm it up. I use a long 1/2" extension or I have an old breaker bar I use.

Luckily I haven't needed to replace bearings since I had my old CR's.

When I have the wheel off I remover the spacers and pack grease behind the seal with my finger. Never had a bearing issue with my CRF's.

Do you use a pressure washer?

Throttlejockey, I don't have a pressure washer. City water pressure at my house is 80 psi and works pretty good. I can do enough damage with 80 psi. :D

I just removed the wheels recently to replace the tires/tubes and noticed how bad things looked down there. 🙂

Last winter I spent a lot of time in the mud and neglected to take things apart and re-lube the axles/seals. Now that I see how simple it is, I will be checking/lubing those seals more often.

Not all the bearings are toast. Just one front and one rear. Probably most people would just lube the seals and call it good. But, I'm kinda anal retentive, notice a little defect, and want to replace them all and then keep them perfect. 🙂