Sign in to follow this  

Ceramic coating; the Cats @$$!

First I tried heat tape and it looked ok, but then I was told about ceramic coating and that is definetly the way to go! The heat off of my pipe was cut by more than a half! That is a lot less heat to go back at the engine. More HP with less heat! It cost me $52 Canadian. Thats about $40 US. And the finish is great! it is just like chrome! And its less than paper thick!

Jax.

More info!!! My pipe looks mint but gets black grubby smudges on it all the time from my boots rubbing on it and it needs viscious metal polish and elbow grease to remove

Well the ceramic coating will cut the heat and cause less chance of melting your boots. However it is still hot enough to burn. The only thing with this coating is if you want to keep the shine on the pipe, you can't use things like 'Super Clean' on it or it will instantly dull the finish. As for the strength of the pipe, I was told I will dent the pipe before I crack the finish. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Jax.

It is extremely cool! Similar to powder coating but a ceramic base rather than silicon base. A great coat will do the inside and the oustside of your pipe. For the shine get the aluminum version as there are tons of varieties on the market. Also if you want a shine you want the coater to polish the finish. Aluminum transfers heat faster but doesn't abosrb it like steel. Therefore your exhaust runs cooler. It is porous when hot so it will stain in gooey areas (like from the spooge on a 2 stroke). Check out Embee Performance Products for a great coater. My company is a manufacturer of high quality exhaust headers (car) and we use them exclusively. Beware of cheap imitators that tell you it is ceramic but give you a standard powder coat!