Sign in to follow this  

New RK GB520GXW Gold X-Ring Chain and 41T Installed!!!

Well - I've got a 20,000 mile warranty on this EXPENSIVE GOLD RK GB520XSO CHAIN from cyclegear.com - $90 but I needed it ASAP...

gb520xso1a.jpg

So, now I'm at 15/41 with the new chain..

Off for a test drive within the hour!!!

I'll report back with Wheelie-Ability - Top Speed - Torque - Acceleration Etc..

🙂

GoldChain%20003.jpg

GoldChain%20005.jpg

THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME DETERMINE WHAT SPROCKET/CHAIN I NEED!!!

How much slack should I put into the chain for 100% STREET riding? 1"? .5"?

🙂

HOLY SHIT!!! EVERYONE THAT COMMUTES ON AN "S" MODEL SHOULD DO THIS MOD!!!! 112MPH TOP SPEED!!!!!!! ON DEATHWINGS!!!

Note - I'm running the stock 21" Trailwing in front and 18" Trailwing in back.

Here's my report - just burned a tank of gas with the new RK Gold GXW 110 Link Chain and 41 Tooth Sprocket...

I cannot believe how much of a difference this mod made - I'm not even sure why, but I've got MORE POWER SOMEHOW.... Doesn't make sense, but read this:

3rd Gear - Rev Limiter at 72 MPH

4th Gear - Rev Limiter at 93 MPH

5th Gear - WOT Max Indicated Speed - 112 MPH!!! (still can't hit the rev limiter)

I can do wheelies EVEN BETTER in first - I can shift into second with the front tire off the ground - something I couldn't do before...

I can also pull the front tire up rolling in second gear at about 30-35 and ride it all the way to about 45-55 MPH!!!

I was not expecting results like this AT ALL... I'm totally amazed - especially 112MPH!!!

All I can say is WOW.... Totally different bike, and seems to run in the midrange powerband better than stock...

This is all 100% accurate - Do this mod, and you will have the exact same results..

My cheeks hurt from grinning!

fun.gif

If I had 17's I'd go as far as a 15/38 (2.53) or 16/41 (2.56) sprocket.

do you think its possible to do 15/41 with the stock chain? or do i have to get a shorter one?

Around 38mm /40mm on slack for street

WOW - an Inch and a Half??? That seems extreme - IS IT??????

I set it to 1" - it bounces around a lot because its a thumper.

DRZBob, 112mph 15/41 ? Your the first one to post that 🙂 , where did you hit rev limiter in 4th gear stock? I've never ran it past 81mph or so and still didn't hit the limiter.

But your still being able to pull up in 2nd gear with just the throttle, or with clutch?

What about starting off in first, seem to take alittle more to get rolling?

what about cruising speed?

HOLY SHIT!!! EVERYONE THAT COMMUTES ON AN "S" MODEL SHOULD DO THIS MOD!!!! 112MPH TOP SPEED!!!!!!! ON DEATHWINGS!!!

Here's my report - just burned a tank of gas with the new RK Gold GXW 110 Link Chain and 41 Tooth Sprocket...

I cannot believe how much of a difference this mod made - I'm not even sure why, but I've got MORE POWER SOMEHOW.... Doesn't make sense, but read this:

5th Gear - WOT Max Indicated Speed - 112 MPH!!! (still can't hit the rev limiter)

I can do wheelies EVEN BETTER in first - I can shift into second with the front tire off the ground - something I couldn't do before...

I can also pull the front tire up rolling in second gear at about 30-35 and ride it all the way to about 45-55 MPH!!!

I was not expecting results like this AT ALL... I'm totally amazed - especially 112MPH!!!

All I can say is WOW.... Totally different bike, and seems to run in the midrange powerband better than stock...

This is all 100% accurate - Do this mod, and you will have the exact same results..

fun.gif

with the grin ya having, that must have hurt

🙂

do you think its possible to do 15/41 with the stock chain? or do i have to get a shorter one?

NO - it is not possible..

HOWEVER - all you need is a cheap chain breaking tool. I used a grinder on a drill - Grind the rivet HEAD flush with the outer plate, and use a center punch and a hammer to pop it out.. you can cut the chain EASY!! It took me all of 5 minutes..

All you have to do is remove 2 links from the STOCK CHAIN... Cycle Gear will do it for you for cheap if you don't want to do it yourself.. I chose to have them remove the 10 links from the new Xring chain so it would be perfect.

Order the 41T Sprocket and the correct MASTER LINK from Suzuki - the TT store can get them - just call them (I'm going to it also for my 14/47 or 14/49 setup for the dirt - whatever fits)

Then - when the parts arrive - just put the 41T rear sprocket on with loctite, and lace the chain back onto the top of the countersprocket and thread it around and to the rear sprocket - line them up together on the sprocket so you can insert the master link, and put the clip in and go ride!!!!

Its REALLY easy - I'm suprised I made such a big fuss about it..

BTW BOB,

Did that chain come with pressed clip master or RIvet type?

DRZBigB, 112mph 15/41 ? Your the first one to post that 🙂 , where did you hit rev limiter in 4th gear stock? I've never ran it past 81mph or so and still didn't hit the limiter.

I was hitting the Rev Limiter in 4th at 85-86MPH before the swap..

But your still being able to pull up in 2nd gear with just the throttle, or with clutch?

No Clutch - haven't figured out how to do that yet - Just Gas to around 30-40ish, Front Brake to dive the front a little, let go of the brake, Lean back, Pin it, and pull back on the bars and I had the neighbors kids clapping and yelling!!! Rode it about a block...

Third - not a chance...

What about starting off in first, seem to take alittle more to get rolling?

Yes and No - It accelerates almost as fast as before I think maybe quicker since I don't have to shift as fast - Haven't done a 0-60 run, but I'm sure I will - the lap timer would work.....

I do know that I smoked a new 911 Turbo Porsche up to about 75-80 - then he was gone.......

I noticed in traffic I have to ride the clutch more than I did before.. mostly because cars accelerate soooooo slowly..

Since the DRZ has a bulletproof clutch, I'm not too worried about clutch wear..

what about cruising speed?

It cruises at 85 now like it used to cruise at about 75 - I just go by vibration.. Its smooth...... My favorite speed before the 41T was 81MPH - the bike seems to smooth out a LOT at that speed.. Now - 90ish is about what 80ish used to be...

I've got a 6th gear and you don't !! :D:D🙂:D

45 in 5th is now like 55-60 in 5th...

BTW BOB, Did that chain come with pressed clip master or RIvet type?

BTW - My Name is Bryan :D

Anyway - its the CLIP - not the rivet type - I need to be able to remove it for the dirt setup...

((not the rivet type - I need to be able to remove it for the dirt setup...))

reason I asked that chain comes with rivet type only I thought , so I was wondering what press fitted clip you are using.

are you using a stardard non oring master?

BTW are you running a Hotcam?

I got my numbers mixed up - I'll change the original post - You are 100% correct - I was going to buy that GXW chain, but it had a rivet clip - I forgot what I bought!!! I was sooo excited to install it and post results!! All they had was the same one but its XSO not GXW - my bad 🙂 - oops! Anyway - It was 120 link and they removed 10 and it had a clip-type master link.. Thanks for reminding me to look at the receipt - it was only $90ish - the other one was like $115, but I bought other stuff too.. ooh well...

BTW are you running a Hotcam?

No engine mods but burned jetting and unfortunately slightly tight valves, but in spec. 🙂 That's my next thing - they're a llittle tight, so I gotta do that next weekend..

BTW - I'm only about 160lbs right now with my helmet!!!

Okay, so you got the Gold XSO rkxring Kool!

Yeh I was wondering if you were using the hotcam cause that would give some ummph for that gearing, but your stock and sounds like I will try that 41.

You mentioned having to clutch it more in traffic, can you elaborate a little more?

Your fuel milege ought to pick up also

I've always had to "Clutch It" in traffic - only because even stock its pretty tall gearing - cars usually take off really slowly at stoplights, so Its always been a challenge to release the clutch fully when accelerating

3 teeth really isn't the HUGE change that everyone told me it would be - I thought it would be more like a streetbike - 0-50 in 1st gear or something - honestly - its maybe 15MPH difference... Thats a good thing... It should have come stock this way - I guess that's why they run a 140 on a 17" on the "SM" model - that's probably the same as the deathwings - or pretty close anyway...

I just have to ride fast to keep up with the flow of traffic - I'm not a speed demon...

Like I said in the original post - I'm sooooo impressed with the 41T and Trailwings that I recommend it to everyone - especially if you can do it for the price of a master link and sprocket - less than $40 bucks... IT IS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT... Soo much better it should almost be on the DRZ.INFO page for people that commute on it....

fun.gif

112 mph and not hitting the rev limiter...I'll say a prayer for you. Keep the shiny side up, Brian... 🙂 I don't wanna be readin' about your untimely passing. Be careful. Your reaction time just needs to double or more at those speeds. Not a lecture, just a fact. 🙂

your results sound very good.

Next if you could get you out of them trailwings into some real street tires, the improvement of front end bite is very nice, I found the trailwings to be very skatey on the street , yet usuable if not pushed.

As for the chain slack, it still needs to be the same even though you are riding on the street. You bike is set up with (x) amount of rear end travel and that is what sets the amount of chain slack needed. By riding on the road you do nothing to change the amount of travel possible, just what you normally use...key work is normally. What happens when you hit that 4x4 that just fell out of the truck in front of you????? Can you actually keep the suspension from using all of it's travel? Well besides by letting the drive chain become taunt and stopping, or at least trying to stop the arc of the swingarm.