Sign in to follow this  

Works suspension ride report

I went riding today at Highlands MX, a big, long local Houston track with fast outdoor sections, some tight switchbacks and some big jumps. The dirt is sandy in some spots and hard clay in others and either gets whooped out or choppy into/out of corners depending on which section you are in. It has some big rolling whoop sections, think Millville but harder soil. Being so diverse, it is a great place to test suspension. And it was only about 4 million degrees today, okay it was actually only 101 deg, so it was a real challenge to my lackluster fitness too. About 6 hard laps was all I could do before needing to cool down.

I didn't really know what to expect, as the first round of modifications and works parts worked so very well. If I could have changed anything about them it was to have a slightly firmer fork mid-stroke while keeping the ultra plush initial movement over chop and the excellent bottoming resistance. Other than those small nit-picking details I couldn't imagine it being better, but it was, and in some ways I would never have imagined.

First on the shock, I was able to go out 2 clicks on low-speed compression and still not bottom in some serious g-outs...the result being even plusher action and still having the ability to hit anything as hard as I could with no fear of deflecting when it bottomed or wallowing through rollers. That was nice, but how well it tracked out of corners over some sharp acceleration chop blew my mind...it was like it wasn't there. It just hooked up and drove forward, with no kicking and virtually no feel to it even, like it was flat gound. I was railing one choppy sweeper in third on the gas the entire way around, and just killing guys who had to go straight over the bumps then pivot and straighten out the second half while I was layed over hard on the throttle the whole way and cutting 40' or so out of the distance they traveled. That's a great feeling! I was thrilled with the shock, and amazed at how much better it was, I didn't think it was possible.

The forks were just as surprising. I ended up 3 clicks out on compression compared to where I had them before and still couldn't bottom them, or at least feel it, even when overjumping stuff and slamming them into whoops trying to. And a very good surprise was that even softened up on compression, the middle was firmer and more controlled now while the initial movement was actually plusher than before, that amazed me. If these forks aren't perfect now I don't know what is, as I couldn't even find a tiny flaw or any small thing I would change. For example, one thing the plush middle stroke of the phase 1 mods didn't handle well before on this track was the one SX style whoops section, where they just used too much stroke to stay on top very easily(those same forks still didn't bottom though when I overjumped a huge triple in 5th gear by about 30' or so and landed in braking bumps a month ago, so they weren't too soft, just too quick in the middle). Now even with them 3 clicks softer and the feeling over chop even plusher they stayed up great through the whoops and I was able to grab a handful of 4th gear going in and actually pick up speed through them so I had to brake hard not to overshoot the corner at the end, which I did a few times I'll admit. These forks are unreal.

And one thing I can't pinpoint what caused it, and never would have expected, was how planted the front end was in rough sweepers. If you've ridden Yamaha's you know the front feels heavier than a Honda, and that's a good thing in fast sweepers as the front wheel feels sucked down to the ground. I prefer the Honda feel elsewhere on the track, but I always liked that about Yamaha's. Well now my bike feels the same way in sweepers while leaned over hard on the gas, with the front just glued to the ground feeling. But elsewhere on the track it feels like a typical Honda. Is this the forks tracking so well? The shock tracking so well and keeping the front planted? Both? I don't know, but I never expected that and loved it. I had the same tires, same sag, same fork height, so nothing explains it except the action of the suspension. This was a benefit I never would have thought possible from suspension, and will probably keep me from buying an '06. I love this bike!

Overall, I guess you could safely say I was beyond thrilled. Riding the big 450 at race pace, Vet B for me, is so much easier and less tiring. The bike handles so well, lets you hit any line with so little energy expended if that line is rough, and hooks up so well it's amazing. This was an expensive set of modifications, but it works so much better than I could have imagined.

And here's a crappy pic of it on the bike for you 125shifter... 🙂 ...I was too tired to take a better one when I got home.

works.jpg

That's killer. Thanks for sharing. You have been convincing me to upgrade my susp. first over anything else and now I am really convinced. Would you recommend Race Tech? I am sure you would but if I wanted a setup like yours what would I ask for and last but certainly not least...how much? Do I dare to ask? Also how much for front and rear as I would probably have to do each end separately. Tanks....

Did you have to buy the components individually? Or, can you buy the complete assembled works forks, and works shock. Are the external adjusters the same as stock or do you get high speed rebound adjustment? If you can post or PM me with your parts list and your contact at Factory Connection. Thanx

How were you abel to purchase works parts? Where did you buy all of this from and who do I talk to.

Flyn Ryan Menke 82b