Sign in to follow this  

Body Lifts

I have always disliked Body lifts as I think they usually are ugly unless you get proper gap guards or have a truck that covers up the gaps and they don't really serve a purpose offroad. I'm now thinking about one for both of my trucks because on my lifted Ram the tires rub slightly at full lock when I hit a bump don't know why but this bothers me. A body lift should fix this. So would rims that wernt as wide as most people run 16x8's instead of 16x10"s and say they do fine. I don't want new wheels though so was thinking a body lift would be the cheapest way as to go any higher with the suspension I would have to get a new trac bar, control arms, and a new pitman arm I think that may be all but it may be more. I was just wondering what you guys thought of body lifts? On the other hand I'm not sure I could ever put one on this truck although recently I have been thinking a little more about it.

The other truck is a Ram50 and the body lift is only $75 and I would go with a suspension lift but then again no one atleast not that I have found makes one for it and I would like to get it high enough to get some mud tires on it. I know a guy that has one and his doesn't look too bad although you can see through the frame.

What do all you guys think of them? How hard are they to install.

body lifts suck...they ride horrible and on top of that they look lame...

basically its the cheap mans way to lift ur truck...i used to have a body lift on my tundra, it was my first lifted truck so i didnt know any better...i had fox coil overs and ran 33's had about 3 1/2 inch lift...and it was pretty nice ride...Than i added body lift on since there was no other lifts at the time for them and after that the thing shook so bad on the freeway and it rode horrible..i got an alignment and tires balnced from 3 different places and it never helped....

Just get a suspention lift its 10 times more better..right now i am running a 7inch suspetion lift with drop down brakets on my 03 silverado and u cant even tell its lifted

im gunna pre runner my truck...im getting a camburg long travel kit with sway away 2.5's its not even that much more than a regular suspention lift..cant wait

I've got my 3" body lift sitting right next to me ready to install. I think on our trucks the way the wheel wells are designed you won't be able to tell it is a body lift except if you have step bars (we might possibly need gap guards for the front). As for ease of installation it doesn't look too bad. You have 14 body bolts (extended cab, 12 for a regular cab) to remove and replace plus spacers. The hardest part of the job to me is that you have to cut and weld in a 3" piece of rod in the transfer case lever and the linkage that changes gears for an automatic tranny. I didn't want to spend or even have the 1k for a suspension lift and it was way more involved so I went for the $239 body lift so I can clear my 35" tires and 15x10" rims sitting behind my house. I don't see how raising the body 3" can alter the way the truck rides. 🙂 I can see it being more top heavy but thats about it. Here are complete instructions with pics http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/bodylift.php doesn't look all that bad.

Yeah I dont see how a body lift would alter suspension in any way, you shouldn't need to do anything to the suspension except remove and replace the wheels/tires.

I've only seen one body lift I liked and that was on a new 2wd Ram with a 2"-3" suspension lift and a 1"-2" body lift running 35"s , I was surprised at how good it looked, way better than a 5" suspension lift. I don't see anything wrong with putting a body lift on a beater, which I assume your Ram50 is. Ram50 with mudders sounds fun.

Hello

I work at a truck shop. we always say body lifts are for the poor. just my 2 cents

Body lifts won't change how it rides. Not a fan of them though, just trim your fenders open for more tire clearence.

Hello

I work at a truck shop. we always say body lifts are for the poor. just my 2 cents

Thats nice... 🙂

Body lifts won't change how it rides. Not a fan of them though, just trim your fenders open for more tire clearence.

I've always hated body lifts but I like the look of cut fenders even less.

Hello

Thats what I have always thought too but for the Ram50 that is the only lift I can find and for the bigger Ram I just don't see spending a couple thousand dollars to get it 1-2" higher to help the tires stop rubbing and have my extra lift that I have now useless sitting in the garage. I think I will just leave it along may leave the Ram50 alone too.