Sign in to follow this  

262 kit and AMA rules?

Just read the latest MXA magazine. There is an article in the back about big bore kits... I just read where it states that the AMA limits for a bike is within 1cc of the stated class (ie. a 125 could be as large as 126cc and the 250f could be 251cc MAXIMUM tolerance)

Whats the REAL story????

are you sure that wasnt only for motocross because i think in moto cross you cant have that kind of stuff but in woods racing you can

are you sure it's 1cc or 1millimeter, 2 totally diffent things. when i used to road race to stay super stock legal, you were allowed a 1mm overbore.

The MXA article said 1cc.... their justification was that in '04 the rules changed. The need to bore a cylinder is no more since the Nikasil coating on the cylinder is so good.

I've read in other places that the 262 is legal in the AMA 125 class, and don't want to screw myself if i get the kit and it is not legal.

In our place I think you are allowed for maintanence reasons, an oversize of 0.080 after a rebuild. A 262 is I believe a 0.078 or 0.079". Anyone know for sure?

How would they know anyways?
You would have to win a major championship, and have someone suggest that you were running oversize, causing you to be torn down and checked (unless someone remembers how to "cc" an assembled four-stroke from back in the day, and still has the stuff to do it with), or you (or one of your "friends") would have to tell the officials yourself.

You asked.

How would they know anyways?

Most people boast and it could be to the wrong person. Like Gray said, you will have to win or be atlaset top 10s in points. I bet you most privateers are running some sort of "cheater" bike, especially if they are riding a 125.

That would be mean to race against us poor little 125 2-strokes with your big bore kit it would only be fair if all the 125's were allowed to get a 167 kit (for free).

That's why I took the overbore pistons/kits out of my boy's bikes and went back to stock bore. By the way, you can check them out for sale at the "Auction site"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4559535204&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4559538828&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1