Sign in to follow this  

xr50 for street use

i have a 2000 xr50 thats street legal, with a stock engine and was wondering how to make it a little faster (top speed) without spending that much.ill be using it for street only so i need more top speed (like 40 or 45) than acceleration, it does about 35 now.i was thinking of putting a k&n filter, takegawa hyper CDI and a smaller rear sprocket of larger front sprocket. Would this be good or anyone recommend somthing else????? thanks

I would definately just mess with the gearing, get a big front and small back along with all the other stuff, and itd go pretty fast. You also wanna be careful with the hyper box, my friend had one on his xr 70 and we used to ride it on the road a lot, and he blew the motor because it revved so much higher. You could also try a high performance cam, I think you might be able to get top-speed-oriented ones, but Im not sure. And how about you post some pics?

are u not allowed to go over 49cc, if not get the kitaco 75 big bire kit because the 75 cylender is still marked 49cc, and deffinatly gearing will add alot

messing with the gearing is the way to go! just change the sprockets so you can go fast enough!

its fullly street legal so the engine size doesnt matter, but how much is this 75cc kit? and would putting 15/35 sprockets on a stock engine be fine? thanks

TB108 and 16/35, youll go 55+

YES!!!!!!! that would be sooo awesome! your on the frwy and see a little bike zoom past you! *vrooom!* 🙂🙂

Were those guys in "Third Gear Pinned" really doing 80+ MPH? How'd they do that? Tall gearing? Big motors? Nitrous?

pull the choke assembly out, and plug the hole with some sealant or somthing... little more top end... definetly do some gearing....

I used to regularly run a CM200T on the interstate. On it's own, it was only good for 50mph, get behind a semi or car, I could draft past 85mph. : ) Rode a TW200 on the pike a good amount too...

Were those guys in "Third Gear Pinned" really doing 80+ MPH? How'd they do that? Tall gearing? Big motors? Nitrous?

has anyone else read the article in dirtbike... (i think it was that mag.) about the takegawa 124cc DOHC motor teamed with the takegawa 6 speed tranny? they said it pushed 100mph... it was a really old article... i'll have to see if I still have that one... really cool bike though... used it for supermoto, and some dirt

hey how bout some info on making the 50 street legal. like how you did it!!!!

YES!!!!!!! that would be sooo awesome! your on the frwy and see a little bike zoom past you! *vrooom!* :D🙂

I AGREE!!! I have run that gearing on my 108 and it goes faster then that little bike ought to. I kinda like going 0-35mph quickly then being able to go 55+ down the freeway 🙂

You cant make any dirt bikes legal any more for street use because they changed the law, now they have to be sold street legal. And the 50's arent freeway legal because the law is you must have a 175cc engine to be able to be freeway legal. its considered a motor-driven cycle since under 175cc, and the entrance signs on the freeway say motor-driven cycles prohibited, that would be scary to ride on the freeway tho. and heres a link to my pic of this street legal xr50

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/rollinon15z/112_1210.jpg