Sign in to follow this  

How do i change my fork oil??

Hi, i have a 02 YZ426 and i wanted to do a fork oil change and was wondering where the drain is for the oil, and how do i check the fork oil level

Thanks alot!

Loosen up the fork caps while they are on the bike, then remove the forks. You can leave the spings in and just drain the fork oil out. Compress the sping up and down to get all the oil out. If you want you remove the springs too (another nut-you need a thin wrench or you can grind one down) which makes it easier to pump out the oil, but it isn't nessesary. Usually the specs for adding oil give you a measurement from the top of the fork. We use a caliper as a dip stick to measure it from the top of the fork. Do you have a manual? The manual give detailed instructions on how to do every thing. Also I zero the compression and rebound clickers before I take stuff apart. I don't know if that is needed, but I have heard to do it so I do. Then I bolt it back on the bike and adjust the clickers where I want them. We changed my brother inlaws oil in his 02 426 and that stuff was so thick...it was nasty. I think most bikes recommend 5wt. Good Luck.