Sign in to follow this  

Black Box Confusion ????

I am getting ready to do the 3x3 mod on my 2005 S model. I did a search for black box and just got more confused. I read remove it and plug all hoses, leave it and unplug hoses from carb, let hoses hang down open to atmosphere, leave black box on as for it prevents water form getting into motor. I'm confused !!! What should I do with the black box to achieve maximum performance ???

I removed mine, and all associated hoses, and threw everything in a box. I then plugged the now open port on the carb. Done.

i dont believe the black box will help nor hinder performance, it is just a catch can

The black box is the oil / breather vent box and needs to remain in place or you'll have a mess. It has nothing to do with performance. Good luck and welcome 🙂

I think you're confusing the black box with the California emmissons stuff. Do you have a Cal. model?

Maybe that's the problem, there are 2 black boxes. I have a 2005 S model not a California model. My black box is under the seat on top of the airbox. So I need to leave my black box in place and hooked up, right ??? Thanks....

That would be your CDI I believe. Can't do without your ignition.

You're talkin' about your CDI...you remove that and you ain't goin' anywhere because it's the ignition module 🙂

Thanks for sorting out my confision for me !!!

:D

Well, I'm glad we helped your confision...not 'xactly sure what that is so I'm a little confused 🙂 .... :D:D:D🙂

they always search for the "Black Box" in the remains of a plane crash.

Huna!!

Top of air box under the seat--Ignition CDI box

Right side of frame behind the engine--Crankcase breather/vapor separator

CA bikes -- someplace on the frame is the gas tank vent vapor collection charcoal canister. The charcoal collects the fumes and than purges it to the engine.

CDI obviously needed to run the engine. The other 2 have no affect on performance but the vapor canister can cause running problems when the tank is over filled or the bike is dumped over and the charcoal gets saturated. The crankcase breather box is best to leave in place. Some people have been successful in removing it but you have to build a new system of hoses that does the same thing.

If you guys were even talking about the Black Box that's connected between the cylinder head and the lower engine block, don't even think about taking it off. Leave that sucker there. Here's the results of more than 4 months of testing, and trying to make that removal work - it doesn't:

http://www.z400central.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=38841&hl=black+box+removal