Sign in to follow this  

Takagawa 115 Superhead Low End

Has anyone run into any issues getting the 115cc Superhead kit for the XR100 to pull good from the bottom end? I have a YZ80/XR100 conversion with a 1996 XR100 bottom end, 115 superhead kit, and DMC megaphone pipe. I runs great in the middle and on top but it is a DOG on the bottom. I have tried advancing the cam, 200X carb and lower gearing. (stock carb seems to work better) I know it has to be better than this. I have been told that it is because the kit is for road racing and is all top end by design. There is a pretty sharp angle on the intake manifold because of the carb position and intake angle on the superhead. Not sure if that is the problem.

I am getting smoked on tighter tracks by the Engines Only 120 kitted bikes that pull great down low. I was going to try the stock cam next or maybe go to a megacam.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, it's the cam. I think they changed cams recently, but not 100% sure, not even 40% sure. I know with the early takegawa kits, they seem to run, good, but not very impressive.

Does the newer kit work well? I was thinking of installing on my powroll 120 cylinder. Also, would the tall lift on the cam make the valves interfere with a high comp piston?

I have the same setup in my Cr conversion. I am very impressed with the bottom end. I am 180lbs I can basically wheelie from an idle. What is your jetting at?

My jetting on the stock carb is 35/105. If I run the 200x carb, I have 38/112. It won't run with the 130 main jet that everyone talks about. BTW, I am on the east coast about sea level. I also am running the stock XR100 airbox but it is drilled out a lot.

I will have to check my notes but I think I'm runnin a 130 or 135 at sea level. I can't remember does your 96 have cdi or points? I think maybe you should be lookin somewhere else for a problem. Mine also runs a bit cleaner with vp 110 fuel. Smells good too 🙂

Well, this is my second bottom end. I originally had a 1981 bottom end (points). I cam across a 1996 XR100, swapped bottom ends so now mine has the 1996 bottom end (electronic ignition) and the TAK top end. The bike was the same with the other bottom end. I thought the 1996 electronic ignition would make all the difference. WRONG..

I would like to look somewhere else but not sure where.

I put the stock cam back in at it seemed much better. I didn't get a chance to try it for too long. Now I would like to try a different cam like the magacam. Does anyone know if I can use a different cam with the TAK hi compression piston without hitting the valves?

I tried the megacam out of another bike and that seemed to do the trick. I don't know what cam my TAK kit had but the stock runs better and the megacam even better than the stock.