Sign in to follow this  

OK. Call me dumb. Airbox Mod...

Well, I took my mechanic's advice and after jetting, etc, I decided I didn't need to cut-up the airbox. This afternoon I got a wild butt-hair (good thing I got the Corbin) and decided to remove the left side of the air-box to see what _would_ happen. Someone please remind me to tell my now _former_ mechanic that he's seriously mis-informed. 🙂

This thing woke-up like it'd been in a deep slumber and I had been quite satisfied after the previous mods! I had been impressed with the difference when I did the exhaust and jetting changes. I am now struck dumb with what happened after opening up the airbox! Serious power from idle to redline. No stumbles and the noise from the airbox is intoxicating!

Gotta take it easy now when starting out _and_ after the shift from first to second. The front really wants to loft like nobody's business. If you, like me, haven't done the air-box cutout, well, as they say: Just do it.

Life is very good. 🙂

did you also drill the additional hole in the slide?

i cut the top of my airbox because it doesn't make nearly the noise that it does from the side lid being removed. i'm just curious if the additional hole in the slide fills in the weak bottom of my rpms on roll on.

glad you got some good results.

I did not drill the hole in the slide. I have no stumble at all now. After just doing the jetting and FMF I did have some stumble, a lot less than stock though. I do still have some popping and such on decel. I suspect that is just par for the course in a big single.

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to modifying my vehicles. Normally I try and buy something that fits my expectations right out of the box, at least with modern vehicles. That being the case, I may have to re-think this strategy. ;-)