Sign in to follow this  

Need help from Australian DRZ owners

G'day Maits! I need some help from our Australian DRZ members.

Please leave a reply or PM 🙂

Currently working in Sydney till the 23 of July.

probably help if you indicated what sort of help??

All right! Fast reply 🙂

I visited a Suzuki dealer last weekend but the spart parts people were closed. I looked at the 05 DRZ (didn't indicate E or S) on the floor and the bike looked more like an S. Mikuni carb, extended subframe, etc BUT has a plastic tank. Don't know about the CDI which, I understand is crucial, to my issue below.

My E has been wired up to fit the turn signals locally... it's not too reliable. Lights don't work every now and then and it looks a mess!

Someone told me that the earlier Australian E model has a wire harness that accomodates turn signals. All necessary leads are there. Is this true? I don't want to order the wire harness just to find out it was made for the S.

🙂

AU E model is an E model with S model lights and spedo. Its essentially the best out of the box street legal DRZ out there. Should have an FCR however..... Its right in my service manual unless they changed the emission requirements and put the Mikuni on it or something. 🙂

But the model is on the plate riveted on the headtube so you can always go back and check it. 🙂

Thanks Nate. I will pay the dealer a visit again this weekend 🙂

You wouldn't happen to have an AU parts manual would you?

On the headtube would mean behind the headlight? Or is it at the side?

Behind headlight....

Can't help you with AU fiche / part numbers.

AU CDI's are definitely a different part number FYI. I can probably tell you if the AU E model wiring harness has the kickstand kill switch crap at least.... But an S harness would work ok on your bike. You just cut one wire and it will work with the E CDI.

The aussie model still has the FCR carb as far as I know (my 2005 model does). The wiring harness for the Aussie model also has the cutouts for the clutch and sidestand (which are usually bypassed once they leave the dealers floor). Let me know if you need anymore details.

Thanks for the help guys! 🙂:D :D

Nate, I was once told the S wire harness wouldn't work. Maybe that's something to consider

Burren rider, so it is confirmed the AU E model wire harness has all the lighting, signal, etc leads and will work on the US E CDI? Is this so for all years?

The DRZ I saw at a Suzuki delaer here in Parramatta didn't indicate E or S, It had an extended subframe, plastic tank, turn signals, Mikuni carb, chain guard, digital speedo... didn't notice about passenger pegs though. The sales guy wasn't too aware of the E and S model. He called it the street legal model. AU models rock. Off road models are street legal. Something I really drooled at was the WR250Z and RMX250 🙂

Burren rider, so it is confirmed the AU E model wire harness has all the lighting, signal, etc leads and will work on the US E CDI? Is this so for all years?

I'm not sure if it will work on the US CDI but it does have all the street legal requirements.

The DRZ I saw at a Suzuki delaer here in Parramatta didn't indicate E or S, It had an extended subframe, plastic tank, turn signals, Mikuni carb, chain guard, digital speedo... didn't notice about passenger pegs though. The sales guy wasn't too aware of the E and S model. He called it the street legal model. AU models rock. Off road models are street legal. Something I really drooled at was the WR250Z and RMX250 🙂

The only model we get is a hybrid between the E & S models (we used to get a non-registerable kick starter too but not any more). It runs a Keihin FCR Carb, high comp motor with E gearing standard, but it also has the S models street legal gear. Still not real sure how it will intergrate with your E Model though?

Any way you go Alan you can make it work.

I am pretty sure the AU harness is gonna be the same as the S harness 10 to 1. If that is the case you just pull one wire from the CDI plug and it will work fine with the E CDI. That may be exactly why there is a different CDI used in the AU model. Get the part number from the guys down under and see if it matches up with the S harness number. 🙂

Let us know your findings.

Not sure about the wiring myself, but I can guarantee that if you looked at a DRZ in AU then it didn't have a mikuni carb ... they all have FCR39 Kehins ... although when the SM gets here I think its going to be the same S derivative so ironically will have less on road performance than our regular road registerable DRZ 🙂

Not sure about the CDIs though ... maybe look up the part number of a fische and call a dealer and have them quote the one they would order to you so you can compare?

Talk to John (Yani) at Actions at Parramatta (Spares counter) for all the part no.s from the Suzuki fiche.

I've dealt with John since my road racing day's and he'll usually got the extra mile to help you out.

Bummer about the SM having no where the same performance of our standard dirt version

How about a local ride while you're here. PM me and we'll sought something out.

Cheers

Thank you all for all the help 🙂

I was at Action at Parramatta's! That's where I saw the DRZ.

Hope I can find the time to pay them another visit. My movement is quite restricted now 🙂

Will pay John a visit and take a closer look at the floor model.

I will keep you guys posted :D

Udate for those interested. (Action Motorcycles at Parramatta)

I opened up my eyes this time and peeked through the headlight (mounted with S brackets) It says DRZ400E! Pardon my earlier post, the carb is indeed a FCR. From where I could see, the wiring looked neat :eek:

Went to speak to the spare parts man (John) as recommended. He printed out the page with the wiring harness for S and E models. Apparently they have the same part numbers as the online fiche from Ron Ayers. He will confirm if the harness has the leads for all the turn signals and stuff after the weekend.

Any idea how come the E has 2 part numbers for the harness?

36610 29F10 and 36610 29F70 :applause:

Ya the AU E model is the bomb.....

If you look right under the tank about where the seat is there is a tag on the harness with the part number also FYI.

The F10 vs. F70 is a newer rev. of the harness. Could be and likely is a simple change.....

Just another note, come September we'll have all 3 DRZ400 models for sale in Australia. The DRZ400E, DRZ400SM AND DRZ400S. Why the #$%^ we need the S model at all is beyond me, but we're getting it.

I'm lead to believe all 3 will be road legal and come with the full kit of lights, blinkers etc.

There's a few press releases about it on the Suzuki AU website under media releases.

Just another note, come September we'll have all 3 DRZ400 models for sale in Australia. The DRZ400E, DRZ400SM AND DRZ400S. Why the #$%^ we need the S model at all is beyond me, but we're getting it.

I'm lead to believe all 3 will be road legal and come with the full kit of lights, blinkers etc.

There's a few press releases about it on the Suzuki AU website under media releases.

What will be sad is if or rather when.... uninformed people go and buy the S model instead of the superior AU E. :applause:

No doubt in my mind it will happen. It will come down to "hey that one over there is blue". :eek:

What's wrong with yellow? 😛 I'd refuse to buy a Suzuki dirtbike if it wasn't yellow. I rejected a black RMX in favour of a yellow one :eek:

I'm very surprised that the AU would bring in the S. The E is the ultimate. Street legal with an uncorked exhaust! Passenger pegs! All the bells and whistles! 🙂

Anyway, I couldn't get them to pull off the tank just for me just to take a look see could I?

I will just have to wait for John's of Action MC to update me whether the extra leads come on the F70.

I was told the F10 is for 00 and F70 is 01 and later because of a different battery??? :applause: