Sign in to follow this  

xr400 rear shock needs help!?

Rear shock is currently blown 🙂 , or so I think. I asked around a few dealers and getting new shock seems out of the question, as estimates were over $700!!!?! So, anyone have eny experience getting their shocks rebuilt? Anything special I should know, or place I should send it to?

Thanks

Heck if you are mechanically inclined and are patient its not too hard to do yourself.

i bent the shaft on my rm250's rear shock a few years back and a to rebuild it with a new shaft was around $250

Just sent mine off to Factory Connection for a complete going over. It will need to be re-valved too.

Stay tuned to the "Takin' a bullet" thread for the various follow-ups.

A common problem on the 400Rs is for the rebound to stop working. Did that happen to your's? If so it can sometimes be corrected but it's pretty difficult. You can get a new shaft and it's not too much cash, it's part of the rebound assembly.

If your shock is just blown then send it to any of the reputable suspension places and just have it serviced, it's cheap.

You could also try to find a used shock on the internet or post in the "for sale" section that you want to buy one.

also you might want to upgrade the spring if you havnt already

Why? You have to be pretty heavy to need to up grade the rear spring on an XR4.

It actually was the rebound that went first. The first thing I noticed was topping out. Sometimes very harshly. I think the shock was "blown" soon after, as there is dirt stuck to the leaking oil all over the shock. Whats the rebound fix? I will check around the ued market, thanks for that tip. A

A new spring shouldnt be needed, Im only 160lbs.

Why? You have to be pretty heavy to need to up grade the rear spring on an XR4.

Not necessarily it depends on how aggressively you ride it and what you are doing with it,I had mine changed to an 11.5 kg at the time I had the valving done and I weigh in at 190lbs. It is perfect for me.