Sign in to follow this  

Bike Flooding Issue

MY CRF150F FLOODS MORE AND EASIER THAN ANY BIKE I HAVE HAD. I AM WONDERING IF IT IS AN ISSUE THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN CARE OF AT A DEALER, OR IS THERE SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BIKE THAT JUST FLOODS EASIER. WHAT SHOULD I KNOW? ANY TRICKS? 🙂

Welcome to Thumpertalk. One hting that works for my TTR125L is when it is off, hold pull the gas ALL the way back and give it a kick. Once it starts then take your hand off the gas. This always works for me.

something that u can try is when it is flooded, hold the kill switch down and kick it over a few times, this will burn the gas in the combustion chamber without it starting. I've actually only heard this works for 230's but since the bikes are very similar in there ways, it may work for the 150.

Does the engine flood out only after a spill, or any time? All bikes will have a small amount of fuel find its way to the inlet tract after a spill. It's unavoidable.

(like a spill!) The best way to get the engine started again is to hold the throttle wide open and start the bike as you normally would. Once the engine starts to run, keep the throttle pinned until it clears out fully. Open and close the throttle a few times to get all of the excess fuel out and things should return to normal.

If your engine floods out WITHOUT a spill, then you have carb issues. There may be some debris in the needle and seat, or the float level is set too high.

Either way, If the engine floods out under normal riding conditions, carb removal is needed to adjust and or thoroughly inspect the carb.

Good luck!

Does the engine flood out only after a spill, or any time? All bikes will have a small amount of fuel find its way to the inlet tract after a spill. It's unavoidable.

(like a spill!) The best way to get the engine started again is to hold the throttle wide open and start the bike as you normally would. Once the engine starts to run, keep the throttle pinned until it clears out fully. Open and close the throttle a few times to get all of the excess fuel out and things should return to normal.

If your engine floods out WITHOUT a spill, then you have carb issues. There may be some debris in the needle and seat, or the float level is set too high.

Either way, If the engine floods out under normal riding conditions, carb removal is needed to adjust and or thoroughly inspect the carb.

Good luck!

or if ya have a carb /w/ an acc. pump. read sticky....https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243133

Well thanks guys. This web site is awesome. One more question... Is it worth it to jet this bike. Some have said yes, and some a straight no. Any opinions?

1) Hold kill switch

2) Open throttle all the way

3) Kick until it sputters

4) Release kill switch and throttle and ride some more.

Thats what my dad told me for mine and I aint sayin its right but it works for me and he knows what he's talking about more than I do.

and if your bike is lean you'd want to rejet it because its not getting enough gas, better too much than too little

Well thanks guys. This web site is awesome. One more question... Is it worth it to jet this bike. Some have said yes, and some a straight no. Any opinions?

I am sure it's worth it although i never got off my ass and actually did it, The hard starting stopped a while back, ride it 1-2 weeks at least once and it'll fire right up no problem. As for the performance i know iam missing out on alot..... So i'd say yes for the couple of dollars it is worth it... 🙂

I am sure it's worth it although i never got off my ass and actually did it,

You never rejetted your lil 150? Oh man, you don't know what you're missing!

REJET REJET REJET!!!

🙂

If the 150 is anything like the 230 jetting is a worth while investment to me. I helped mine a bunch, runs better, starts better and is not as cold blooded as before.

I rejeted my 230 a few days ago and man what a difference 🙂 . I definitely recommend it. It's not difficult just use the appropriate jets for your air temp and elevation and follow 230F's sticky. Enjoy. 🙂

I just rejetted (baffles removed also) my 230 a couple days ago. Took a whole 30 minutes, cost $25.00 cdn. HUGE difference. No problems at all keeping up and passing bigger bikes in the tech trails. Can now wheelie over things instead of just bumping over them. Hills I used to climb in 2nd are now doable in 3rd and 4th (easier to crash going faster). Worth while spending the money and effort.

yea my bike floods alot its a crf150 if i like lay it down it floods but i do the unflooding technique usually for me i jst hold the kill switch and open the throttle all the way and that always starts it right up

Try to keep it upright. Back in my XR days (2 yrs ago), I would have to lean it over so gas would drip out b/c the choke broke and that would help flood it. Leaning it over compensated for the choke.

Try to keep it upright. Back in my XR days (2 yrs ago), I would have to lean it over so gas would drip out b/c the choke broke and that would help flood it. Leaning it over compensated for the choke.

Yeah, that trick always seems to work. 🙂