Sign in to follow this  

12 HOURS of GLEN HELEN. . . .250x update

After winning class 21 at the 2005 BAJA 500, the 101x Pro Circuit CRF250X was ready for a new challenge. Tim washed the bike, changed the oil and put new tires. After 10 hours of racing BAJA we where not sure if the bike would make it. 🙂

It was 100 degrees at Glen Helen. Alfredo Contreras, Sal Hernandez, Jason Trubey and Luke Dodson were riding the bike.The track was rough, rocky, dusty and had many big hills. After holeshoting the race the bike went through 12 hours of hell. :D

Results: 1st Place 250 Expert and 6th overall bike.

Problems - ran outta gas 1 time just before the scoring chicane and lost maybe a minute pushing, about five wrecks, a broken off shifter after slamming into a lapper.

The bike was just awesome, it felt great after 12 hours. Not 1 problem with the motor or clutch. Pro Circuit did an awesome job with the motor. Almost 24 hours on it.

Just want to thank Tim for letting us ride the bike. Also Jim for building the bike and helping us out. 🙂

AC

Just goes to show what attention to detail and proper maintenance can result in.... 🙂

AND, that was the same bike that won 250 Pro class at San Felipe 250, a sand race.

After Felipe we put in a new piston/ring just as insurance, re-prepped the rest of the bike and raced it at the Baja 500. Result was 8th Overall bike, 1st 250, only a few minutes away from 5th OA.

For the GH 12 Hour we barely did anything to get the bike ready, the bike was lucky it got washed! Result - 6th OA, 1st 250.

The bike has actually got about 28 hard hours on it and 24 of those hours are at Expert/Pro desert/off road race speeds. Probably around 810 miles at race speeds.

Baja 1000.....???

Okay, who was that Kook last year who said no CRF250x could finish a race over 300 miles?

🙂 Pro Circuit 🙂

Tim

** By the way, I want to thank another guy on TT "BajaRudy" for helping me out with extra air filters at GH 12 HR as I was a bit unprepared in that department!

What? ....................Tim,you were unprepared? Oh,the humanity!!

AND, that was the same bike that won 250 Pro class at San Felipe 250, a sand race.

After Felipe we put in a new piston/ring just as insurance, re-prepped the rest of the bike and raced it at the Baja 500. Result was 8th Overall bike, 1st 250, only a few minutes away from 5th OA.

For the GH 12 Hour we barely did anything to get the bike ready, the bike was lucky it got washed! Result - 6th OA, 1st 250.

The bike has actually got about 28 hard hours on it and 24 of those hours are at Expert/Pro desert/off road race speeds. Probably around 810 miles at race speeds.

Baja 1000.....???

Okay, who was that Kook last year who said no CRF250x could finish a race over 300 miles?

:applause: Pro Circuit :eek:

Tim

** By the way, I want to thank another guy on TT "BajaRudy" for helping me out with extra air filters at GH 12 HR as I was a bit unprepared in that department!

I AM THE KOOK...........

At the time, NO 250X had finished a distance of more than 300 or so Miles under RACE conditions. (Pro Circuit confirmed that.)

I am happy to report that the Pro Circuit Valves and Springs have been FLAWLESS and nothing has moved more than a 'thou or 2 since they were initially done.

The only input I can add is this:

The Valve Clearances of 5-6 that Pro Circuit specifies MAY be a bit tight.

I loosened up to 6-6 and it seems to start more consistently. Yah, I know it's odd to think that would change anything but it seems to work!

Show room floor?

Mine was bought in early March 04, has been run in the desert for the entire time. About 1,000 plus miles now. Racing D-37 Magnum 250 class and I still have not needed to adjust the valves. Only thing done to the motor is to cut air box and re-jet all else is STOCK.

Cowboy hope to see you out at the Invaders race, have not been on our course yet but here it will be fun.

Good To Hear, As For Treebanger, If You Have Had Bad Luck W/ Your Bike, I'm Sorry, But Others Have Had No Problems.

Alfredo Contreras, Sal Hernandez, Jason Trubey and Luke Dodson

Results: 1st Place 250 Expert and 6th overall bike.

101 Alfredo Contreras,Luke Dodson,Salvador Hernandez Rangel,Jason Trubey Hon 125-250 Expert 1st in class 8th overall bike

Nice ride! It was very hot that day.Somebody must have made a mistake on the scoring?

Was there anyone else in that class besdies your guys?

Good To Hear, As For Treebanger, If You Have Had Bad Luck W/ Your Bike, I'm Sorry, But Others Have Had No Problems.

Treebanger rides a Yamaha, read his profile.

Deep down inside he WISHES he bought the Honda since his Blue Bike has no Green Sticker.

Pull one off the showroom floor , and then start crowing about how gooood!! it is

First off, are you lost??? Your Posts say you ride a Yamaha or KTM ...what gives??

Now, as far as the showroom floor, don't EVEN get me started ! We are talking about racing here, not trailriding. NASCAR teams do not "pull one off the Showroom Floor" and head for the starting line, why would you expect to do it with a Motorcycle? If you take the time to notice, MOST of the people that are having problems ride agressively, recreational or "Trail Riders" don't have as many problems.

As far as the "Showroom Floor", how much have you had to do to your Blue Bike to make it run as well as a Honda? I notice the Yamaha 250's are not "Green Sticker" or "Emissions Legal", They have a Throttle Stop that limits performance to about half Throttle and a "Cork" in the Exhaust. Of course you can modify those 2 items and when you are done you have a Bike that runs about as well as the CRF250X does "right off the Showroom floor"

In closing, there are really only 3 reasons to be in this forum:

A) You are sorry you bought the Yamaha or KTM and want a Honda and are doing research prior to the purchase.

:applause: You are just trying to validate the fact that you made the right choice.

C) You are miserable, your life sucks and you just enjoy making people feel lousy.

Here's an Idea!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you use some of your Hot Air to blow up your Date and stay out of the Honda Forum?

Here's an Idea!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you use some of your Hot Air to blow up your Date and stay out of the Honda Forum?

Good one! :applause:

Thank you guys , Just another Troll having fun !!!! I was just testing to see if ya'll really were as anal as claimed, by other TT's

Thank you guys , Just another Troll having fun !!!! I was just testing to see if ya'll really were as anal as claimed, by other TT's

and the verdict is..... :applause:

Treebanger Thank you guys , Just another Troll having fun !!!! I was just testing to see if ya'll really were as anal as claimed, by other TT's

Not anal just trying to have a serious talk about the bike and we are tired :applause: of you trollers putting in your opinions when you do not have any on this topic.

mines showroom stock except barkbusters and rad guards. and the valves havent moved a bit and thats after lots of practice and the 24hr challenge at perry mountain. but mines an 05 so there may be some differences than the 04's :applause::eek:

I AM THE KOOK...........

At the time, NO 250X had finished a distance of more than 300 or so Miles under RACE conditions. (Pro Circuit confirmed that.)

I am happy to report that the Pro Circuit Valves and Springs have been FLAWLESS and nothing has moved more than a 'thou or 2 since they were initially done.

The only input I can add is this:

The Valve Clearances of 5-6 that Pro Circuit specifies MAY be a bit tight.

I loosened up to 6-6 and it seems to start more consistently. Yah, I know it's odd to think that would change anything but it seems to work!

Pro Circuit didn't call me. My bike finished the Baja 500 last year (04), as far as we were concerned it was under RACE CONDITIONS . Stock motor, stock head and valves. We finished 6th 250 Pro. I will keep this short, I wore my keyboard out with my last reply. Search " LONG BAJA TRIPS W/ THE CRF250X for the whole , extremely long, story. We also finished the 04 1000, with problems we overcame and this years BAJA 500 with no problems. Our team for the 500 consisted of 1 D-37 Senior Open Expert, 1 D-37 VET Open Intermediate and 1-D-37 Vet Open NOVICE. Maybe 1 problem, we need to go a little faster, WELL maybe 2 problems, we also need to get in better shape and possibly loose a little weight. It might help to be about 30 years younger.

JIM TOWNSEND

SCORE 04 BAJA 500 6TH 250 PRO

SCORE 04 BAJA 1000 3RD 250 PRO(HISTORY REPEATS 1980 1000 3RD 250PRO)

SCORE 04 2nd 250 PRO - YEAR END POINTS

SCORE 05 BAJA 500 5TH 250 PRO

D-37 #07 SENIOR OPEN EXPERT - DESERT

D-37 #04 SENIOR OPEN A - ENDURO

D-37 #2 SENIOR OPEN EXPERT - BEST IN THE WEST

THANKS TO:

THOR, WHITE BROS, LONG BEACH MOTORSPORTS, LITZ RACING, CLEAN RACING, IMS, CHEMHELP, PDMC, Z-RACING, REV-LOC, BAJA DESIGNS

BIKES:

SCORE RACES - 04 CRF 250X (ALMOST NEW ONLY RIDDEN 3 TIMES)

D-37 RACES - 03 KTM 525 EXC

PRE- RUNNER/ DUALSPORT- 01 KTM 520 EXC

PLAY/ MX - 93 CR 500