05 450R 20mm or 22mm offset?

the 05 has the axle boss center moved back 3 mm,

whitch is like having 21 mm offsets on a 02 03 04 ,

and it still has the same 24mm clamps,

very cool the way honda did this , it also has a better leveredge on fork action,

i have tested with all the clamps, and i like the 05 stock, and the 20mm 's on the 02 03 04 . ?

Tim2hip I'm thinking about getting applieds 22mm triple clamps,do they help get rid of the way the front end pushes in certain turns on the 05 450?That is probably my biggest complaint with the 05.I cant believe more people dont notice or complain about this problem on this bike.

I've messed with both the sag and raising the forks.The front end still seems to push.If you raise the forks to much it will cause headshake.I talked with a rep from factory connection today and explained what the bike is doing and he said it is common even on the 2005 crf450 to push in certain turns.He said by having the suspension set up for my weight and installing the 22mm tripleclamps I should see a big improvment.I will be doing these mods soon and let you guys know how it works.

you must be accelerating or braking, and sometimes braking while on the gas, ---this is the only way a mx bike works.

if you think you are going to end your braking and then try to lean the thing over and coast through the turn, then yes any bike will feel loose and push or tuck the ft.

the honda is designed to be under power or braking all the time NO COASTING.

they will turn on rails if you come in hot get on the binders and then set up and turn while still on the brakes and start accelerating while still on the brakes and then slowly release your braking and you gone and it hooked up great.

just about everbody i help that says (it pushes)

when i watch them the first thing they try to do is coast through the turn ,

it just does not work that way.

when your in a corner and release the ft and rear brakes you give up all traction and grip that was on the ft end, ----so yes it will push and slide and or tuck and feel like hell,

you need to practice circle drills with braking, and you will start to see what is going on,

the brakes are way more important than the motor,----it takes years to learn how to use the brakes!!

I appreciate the advice kelstr,but I am far from being a beginner rider. I've been riding since i was 13 years old,I am now 39. Although I am new to 4-strokes I don't think my riding style is the problem. It seems kind of odd that most of the changes too the 2006 crf 450r are to address the turning issues on the 450. When I talked to the guys at Factory Connection they said that what I described is a common problem on the Honda 450.

The 4 strokes handle different. After 10 Years on CR250s I got my first 4 stroke lastyear, a 03 CRF450. I bought it used and it had 20mm clamps on it. I had the suspension set up for my weight and ability. The bike will act like theres a slick on the front when you take a hot lap or just coast around, if your not on it like Kelstr suggested, you will be fighting the front end. I always get very frustrated the first few laps of practice when I'm just looking the track over, once you get on it, the thing is awesome. Take Kelstr's advice before dumping too much into your bike. I've been riding at an Expert level for 8 years and had to relearn some riding techniques to suite the 4 stroke.

I have 20mm Emig clamps on my 05 and they make it really turn,I had the same clamps on my 02,I haven't had any head shake either,

I have ridden 05's with that offset and it feels like it falls into turns in a bad way. Set the sag 95mm for trails and 102mm for sand and MX. Make sure the spring rates are correct.

edge i did not mean to sound like you were a beginner,

but Ryan really said it better , the 4 stroke really need to be pushed on motor and brakes to really see the potential that is there ,

and of course fc is telling you that , they want your money ,

and yes if you make the bike drop down more in the ft it will seem like its better, but you can make other problems elswhere ,

and yes the 22 and or 20's are cool if you are a single tracker and kinda want to cruse around and stuff,

but furious is correct when you really get to start drifting and pushing it hard on the motor and brakes at the same time on a mx track the 17 mm offset you now have with the 20's is alittle much and i end up having to correct for that , and its ok but it kinda makes it oversteer and i like a bike that is neutral,

the 05 is very good with what honda has done with the ft end geomentry,

and we will see some slight tweaks what the 06 will be like .