Sign in to follow this  

Craftsman Motorcycle Toolkit

Must be for KTMs because my bike never breaks. 🙂

What Rambo said 🙂 these kits may be OK but you can assemble a better one. That combo sparky plug / front axle wrench Suzuki sends in their tool kit as well as the rear axle wrenches, cannot be beat for either purpose in my opinion. The rest of the stuff is junk but not those 3 items. You need what you need and no more...ride long enough, walk out a few times, in the dark and raining, in bear country and you'll figure it out. :D:D

I basically replace everything but the axle wrenches and spark plug tool out of the kit I bought from a guy who had an S. Too bad that the E/K's don't come with a tool kit, they should 🙂

Next time you work on your bike, just put aside the tools that touch your bike, ie. the sockets, wrenches, then look over the rest of the bike to find stuff you missed. Purchase extras of these that's all you need to carry out there, with the addition of some other supplies, duct tape, electric tape, a master clip, zip ties then add it some pliers and/or vise grips and your set... cost alot less then $80 for sure.. I unroll my tape then roll it back on itself. I carry a 1/4 drive socket wrench with 3 needed sockets and combo open ends wrenchs I got from bikes of past. One day when I rode a YZ250, the shift pin fell out and was unable to shift gears, took about 45 minues, but we fixed it on the trail and finish the days ride....

...duct tape, electric tape, a master clip, zip ties then add it some pliers and/or vise grips and your set... cost alot less then $80 for sure.. I unroll my tape then roll it back on itself...

Oh, this reminds me of a cool tip. Buy a roll of 35mm film. Throw the film away (or use it if you still own a 'film' camera). Stuff a master link/clip, small zipties, safety wire, etc. in the film case. Then wrap the film case in duct tape. Lots of good stuff in a very small waterproof container 🙂

You would want to add also an 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm sockets. And I always carry a 15ft length of rope to tow other peoples bikes that always break down.

You would want to add also an 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm sockets. And I always carry a 15ft length of rope to tow other peoples bikes that always break down.

I carry one of these, Linky , Gator Grip sockets. Works and just one socket. 🙂

Mike -

I carry one of these, Linky , Gator Grip sockets. Works and just one socket. 🙂

Mike -

i would imagine that won't fit everywhere. prob.couldn't even remove a side panel or seat with it and it's got to be heavier than 8,10 & 12 mm sockets in 1/4"drive.

as seen on tv. didn't they state something like replaces all your sockets.

i still prefer old school sockets. no offense 🙂

it's got to be heavier than 8,10 & 12 mm sockets in 1/4"drive........

As far as sockets go. that's all I carry, 1/4" drive with an extention, it's only for trail side emergency repairs, I also carry some of the stock S tools, but not all... If I going for an "adventure ride" I carry additional tools and stuff in a fanny tool bag.

I also carry the 8, 10, 12mm sockets but I have them welded to a T handled wrench. I TIG welded a socket on each leg of the T. I have kept this wrench when I traded out motorcycles three times and it has not failed in 20 years.

Other than that, I carry a small vise-grip, and a Leatherman tool with hex drive adapter, hex drive screwdriver and allen head bits, Suzuki sparkplug and Axle tools, and a fire starter flint to burn the damn thing if I cannot fix it.

i would imagine that won't fit everywhere. prob.couldn't even remove a side panel or seat with it and it's got to be heavier than 8,10 & 12 mm sockets in 1/4"drive.

as seen on tv. didn't they state something like replaces all your sockets.

i still prefer old school sockets. no offense 🙂

No Offense taken, It's not a perfect solution and it is heavier than a regular socket. So far its fit when I needed it, but I also carry wrenches, vise grips, etc. I have one tool bag for bike and quad, so its a compromise. Someday I'd like to figure out exactly which sizes I need/don't need for both bike and quad and just carry the tools I need.

Mike -

Since I have access to state land...not 5 miles from my house, I have gotten away with tossing the stock kit in the back pack or fanny pack. If I get into trouble that can't be fixed with the stock kit, many friends with trailers are only a phone call away.

When I go on longer rides away from home...I just pack a bunch of common tools in my back pack and be done with it. The craftsman kit is very very costly for a can of wd40.

I went up to Maine to the northface outlet store and picked up a nice padded backpack for under $50. It has a ton of zippered pockets inside that let me carry anything...and most impotantly...it has the strap that goes around your waist to keep the pack from flying all over the place when riding offroad.