Sign in to follow this  

Hotcams hints??

Just got my stage one hotcam in the mail today and I'll be doing the install tomorrow morning.... I was just wondering if there was anything I should look out for, any problems or hints from anybody whats done this before. It looks to be a pretty easy install but, I'm on a limited time frame here, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any insight on this.... thanks guys 🙂🙂

only advise i can give is use a torque wrench to tighten the valve cover bolts. use factory specs. adjust the valve lash as instructed.

getting the chain tensioner loose is a PITA and i ended up taking a small screw driver and prying up the spring loaded shim from underneith the bracket rather than pulling it up with a pair of pliers as instructed. have a paper clip handy when you preform this step.

also i did not remove the sproken from the chain instead i took a long fat screwdriver and stuck it though the cam gear to hold it from dropping into the engine after i took the cam out. this way i did not need to time anything. just reinstalling the new cam the reverse of removal saved me a lot of time. try to keep a little tention on the cam chain so it wont move any teeth. dont forget your blue thread locker for the cam nuts so they wont vibrate loose.

when your done you need to change the oil and ride the bike for 30 minutes at the specified rpm or higher (you can sort of guess) my bike is plated to i took it out on the streets for a ride. i had to readjust the valves about 3 additional times after riding it a total of about 250 miles. as it is now my engine doesnt tick when cold but has a slight tick when warm. i can only conclude its because of the new cam and is nothing to worry about.

i was also advised not to over tighten the valve lash. the hot cam specs has a wider spec than stock and a little too ticky valve noise for my taste. i went with the factory spec and called hot cams to get their blessing. they advised me that too close of valve lash will cause the cam to be starved for oil and could overheat the cam and ruin it. ive got at least 300 miles on the cam and not 1 single problem yet using the stock clearences. my feeling is that if the valves still tick when hot there is plenty of clearance to lube the cam because the stock cam when adjusted to spec never ticked at all. however i would agree leaving them too tight would be very bad.

almost forgot

you should also remove the pin and spring from the head when you installed the new cam. they are part of the auto decompression system. to get the spring out you need to bend a very small hook on a paper clip and fish it out of the hole after removing the small pin. you will see it just under where the old cam sat near the cam sproket.

Make sure you have lots of oil on the cam when you fire it up, or use disulphite grease

check the valves frequently untill things settle down, it takes a few rides

if you have ANY immediate questions call Hotcams they will help you , their cust support is very good.

as any motor rebuilds , when you've done the breaking change the oil. this is no different

I'm very satisfied with mine its going on 3 yrs i installed it.

A significant increase in power ~10%

stu

getting the chain tensioner loose is a PITA and i ended up taking a small screw driver and prying up the spring loaded shim from underneith the bracket rather than pulling it up with a pair of pliers as instructed. have a paper clip handy when you preform this step.

i filed a slot on that part of the tendioner your describing just so i can get some "traction" as i pry it, the bad part is that it puts a sm score on the surface which your prying from on the head, and necessitates a bit if fine sandpaper when done to get rid of the mark.In retrospec a hooked pic may have done the same job, just grab it lower where the X over point is.

Certainly easier than using plyers as they suggest in the manual.

stu

The tensioner wedge pulls up fairly easily with a small pair of vice grips clamped on tight.

New cam installed.... wow... big power gains.... plus she starts on the first kick now without the auto decompressor.... I love my XR440!!! 🙂🙂:D:D:D