Sign in to follow this  

Yes my Side stand bracket was bent. may be my fault?

I replaced my side stand black hinge bracket and sure enough the older original bracket was bending at the bolt ears very obivously. I installed the new bracket ( cost 30 bucks) and now the stand sits perfect again as it did when it was new with plenty of clearance from the swingarm. 🙂

I may have caused the bending stress by improper use of the stand. I was worried it would fall over so when ever I set the bike on the stand I pushed the foot of the stand as far forward as possible. So far that it actually set on the heal of the stand foot. It turns out the stand foot was at an angle and this may have proved to be placing too much weight cockeyed on the stand and on the bracket, perhaps contributing to bending the bolt hole ears of that black bracket.

I have noticed that the proper way to set the stand is straight down more so that the foot of the stand is flat with the ground or in my case my garage floor. out in the dirt the dirt gives in but the garage floor does not. so when you set your stand don't push it forward so far that the foot is on its heal but set it so it rests naturally flat footed so to speak.

Bigbob, don't feel bad. Mine bent too. I let someone ride my TE450 who wasn't familiar with it. He stalled it and ran down the battery then tried kicking it with the stand down. Bent the heck out of it. I had to remove the stand and bracket to continue riding. When I got home, put the bracket in the vice and carefully bent the ears back. Also had to replace the mounting bolts. Seems to be holding up ok. I guess, to keep the weight down, everything is made just strong enough to do it's job. I usually move the stand forward 'til it stops then lean the bike over. No more balancing the bike on the stand to lube the chain!

"Deep in the woods, a chilling sound is heard. The Wolf hunts again!"

yeah, I'm leaving my bike on the work stand at home from now on, only using the side stand on the trails.

Bigbob, don't feel bad. Mine bent too. I let someone ride my TE450 who wasn't familiar with it. He stalled it and ran down the battery then tried kicking it with the stand down. Bent the heck out of it. I had to remove the stand and bracket to continue riding. When I got home, put the bracket in the vice and carefully bent the ears back. Also had to replace the mounting bolts. Seems to be holding up ok. I guess, to keep the weight down, everything is made just strong enough to do it's job. I usually move the stand forward 'til it stops then lean the bike over. No more balancing the bike on the stand to lube the chain!

"Deep in the woods, a chilling sound is heard. The Wolf hunts again!"

To this day I am amazed the number of people who stand on the bike on the kickstand to start the bike. If you are a real light kid, maybe, but a grown up adult?

Greg

I wonder if leaving the bike on the work stand all the time at home with the suspension all streched out is a problem?

"To this day I am amazed the number of people who stand on the bike on the kickstand to start the bike. If you are a real light kid, maybe, but a grown up adult?"

That's why it's called a sidestand, not a kickstand 🙂

What bothers me too is when streetbike riders lean the bike over onto the sidestand to turn the bike around. Makes me squint every time.

Bob, leaving it on the stand should be no problem. Actually, leaving it on the sidestand should be no problem. Just a guess, but I think your bent sidestand was from someone sitting on the bike with the stand down. You're kind of a big guy, right? Maybe one of your buddies? The stand might not be built like a tank, but there's no way it'll bend just supporting the bike.