Sign in to follow this  

WR250F, YZ250F, or DRZ250. Which Bike???

My son has outgrown his TTR-125 LE and it's time to get him a bigger bike. Anyway I can't really decide between the WR250F, YZ250F, or DRZ250. I want a bike for him that is reliable, fun to ride, and won't require a bunch of maintenance. He says he would prefer a track bike but most of our riding is desert riding. I'm kind of leaning toward the WR but I don't know for sure. Anyway, I was hoping that someone can tell me what the major differences are between these bikes and tell me what/why you would recommend.

Thanks in advance 🙂

I would say the wr250f. The drz250 is not even in the same class as those ofther bikes. Why not give him a xr400 also? More power than the other bikes but with easier to handle power and way better reliablilty.

i think the wr and yz are close to the same...just one has a wide ratio transmission and the other a close ratio....there was one site I remember that told you a bunch of mostly free stuff to bring the wr up to the yz's performance

Why not give him a xr400 also? More power than the other bikes but with easier to handle power and way better reliablilty.

Yeah, I'd like to get him a xr400 too but he has ridden mine and says it is too heavy for him. The WR is about 20 lbs lighter.

Thanks for the advice. 🙂

WR250F has proven to me to be a great all around bike, and would be an ideal bike especially if he is riding on trails and in the desert a lot. It runs well at the track too.

YZ250F would be the better option if he is spending the majority of his time on a track, and doesn't need the lights or the gearing package of the WR

DRZ-250 I would give a thumbs down on... there are much better bikes in the 250 4-stroke class for the money. I ride a DRZ-400 which is perfect except that it is a heavy bike.

It's sounding more and more like the WR might be the choice. How does the WR hold up maintenance wise? I'm used to my XR400 which is pretty much bullet proof.

It's sounding more and more like the WR might be the choice. How does the WR hold up maintenance wise? I'm used to my XR400 which is pretty much bullet proof.

Well, any of the newer Hi-strung 250cc 4-strokes are never going to be as bullet proof as an XR400, any XR for that matter. They weren't designed to be. An XR is a low stressed engine, and can survive quite nicely with very little maintenance. ALL of the new 250CC 4strokes (DRZ excluded) are very highly stressed, and will not survive the same treatmant as an XR. Red line on an XR400 is like maybe 7000 RPM (I'm guessing). Red line on a WR/YZ250F is 13,000. Big difference. WIth parts moving that fast, they must be very light, and the lightness of the parts and the metals they use have a lot to do with the added maintenance.

That being said, the Yamaha's have a better track record for longevity than the other 3 manufacturers. Hang around in all 4 manufacturers forums and see what problems everyone is having with their bikes. By no means am I saying the Yamaha is flawless, it is'nt, It just has the MOST reliable motor in it. (But you have to do the maintenance).

If the maintenance is a big concern, then maybe get him a 2 stroke (but you have to maintain them too).

I have an 03 WR 250F, I love it. One of the nicest features on it is the electric start. If that's not a concern, then get a YZ. You really can't lose....

Remember, the Yamaha's have 5 valves, which don't have to work as hard to produce HP. That is one of the reasons they have a better track record than the others. The WR is more forgiving than the YZ. It's suspension is softer and has a smoother powerband. And lets not forget the electric start! 🙂

And lets not forget the electric start! 🙂

I'll second gmoss on the electric start. Everyone I ride with on the trail is pretty jealous of that magic button. Especially if you stall on a tough spot... instead of balancing precariously trying to kick it over... just push the button and go.

comming of a TTR125 and most of you riding being off the track, having the estart and the flywheel the heavier flywheel of the WR would make an eaiser transition to a full sized bike from the TTR

An XR400 does NOT have as much or more power than a high-performance 250 four-stroke like a WR or YZF. My KX100 can hang with an XR400 up to its top speed.

An XR400 does NOT have as much or more power than a high-performance 250 four-stroke like a WR or YZF. My KX100 can hang with an XR400 up to its top speed.

not buyin it, a xr250 has about as much power as your kx, a xr400 will run from a kx100 easily. Dyno's I have seen have put them at about 35 hp at the wheel.

Coming from a small bike, the extra weight of the e-start could be cumbersome, he might would be better with the lighter YZ

I am a District 37 Racer and I just got a Wr250. I love it. I was coming from a CR250 and the bike is nimble and responsive, You HAVE to do all the free mods to really wake the bike up because it runs like Sh$* from the factory. The wide Ratio is the key to riding the desert and up in the hills where I live. Get the 06 and avoid the Green/Red sticker BS. PM me and your son can try mine at dale evans or Cougar Buttes.

Are you kidding me? An xr250 would own your bike. A xr400 has more hp than the 250fs do but thats not what makes the xr400 faster, its the insane torque that the motor produces. I rode with a rm100 so I know in no way is it faster than an xr400.

I say you should look at getting a ktm200exc. Fast, light weight, and easy to work on. 🙂

Remember, the Yamaha's have 5 valves, which don't have to work as hard to produce HP.

BS. Valve longevity has nothing to do with quantity of valves but everything to do with quality of various top end components.

Are you kidding me? An xr250 would own your bike. A xr400 has more hp than the 250fs do but thats not what makes the xr400 faster, its the insane torque that the motor produces. I rode with a rm100 so I know in no way is it faster than an xr400.

I say you should look at getting a ktm200exc. Fast, light weight, and easy to work on. 🙂

the xr400 does not have more hp then either the WR or YZ. The DRZ Emodel has just under 40 hp stock. The XR400 stock would have most likely like 28-30 hp. The DRZ blows the doors off of an XR4. Both the 250f's discussed make mid 30's hp, and they weight alot lighter. I ride with a guy with an 04 WR250F......that is a quick bike... the YZ would be even quicker

simply put..a YZ250F would suck the grips off of a stock XR400....the WR would be very close as well. That is not saying anything bad about the XR400....it's a great bike.

YZF if he's going to track ride/race and WRF if he's just going to ride desert. Basically the WRF is just a detuned version of the YZF with wider gear ratios and electric start. All three of the bikes you mentioned are stone reliable and you cant go wrong with ease of maintnance there. Also, all three are fun to ride...but the YZF definitely has the most agressive powerband requiring a more skilled rider than the rest.

Good luck with your (sons) decision. 🙂