DR 350, enough guts?

Looking at an early 90s model DR350. I'm 6' and 195 lbs.

Does the bike have enough power for someone my size?

What's the top speed on the road for a stocker? Not racing, just curious if I can drive it to work every now and then.

Any common or known problems that I need to check out on this bike before I buy it?

Recommended upgrades?

Thanks.

DR350 has enough power for your size and weight.

I'm 6'1' and 210.... no problem.

Top speed depends on gearing.... with stock gearing will easily do 65 or more.

Most people drop a tooth on the countershaft for woods riding.

Common problem if you tear the top end down is to overtighten the small bolts on the head and strip them out. First DON'T OVERTIGHTEN, second - install heli-coils in the head for all the small bolts.

Can't think of any other problems offhand.

My bike must have at least 10,000 miles on it.

Best bet is to leave it stock and ride the heck out of it.

If you do anything, work on the suspension.

I had bumped mine to a 450... but it shook too much, now it's a 350 again.

I did the cam, valve springs, flowported head, header pipe, bored carb, opened airbox. Raced the Qualifier Series on it in '91.... I might have had the fastest bike in the class... just not the fastest rider!

Is the bike a 350 or 350S. The S is the street version. The carb is different, the gearing is different and it's street legal. The non-S is not. I have a non S and love it.

Stock it comes with 14/47 sproket set-up, which is [iMO] too high for street use. I reduced the drive sproket to 12 and put a supertrapp muffler. The muffler added even more bottom end. It pulls me around very well [5'7" 220lbs] but geared far too high for any street application.

If you are going to use it for street, make certain it's the S.

Thanks for the replies.

Don't think that it's an S. It has the little headlight and taillight on it. I would guess that the street use would be less than 5% but I will be doing some fire roads and such.

Both versions have the headlight and tail light. The S also has directionals, the kickstand needs to be up to start, clutch needs to be pulled-in or in N, and has more controles on the handle bars [according to my repair manual]. Easiest way is-- see if it has a hi/low beam switch [manditory for street applications]. If not, it's a non-S and you will have to modify to license.

From what I read, the non-S version is the stronger of the two. For dirt/trail riding I think it's great as long as you don't need the "latest and greatest." For a bike as old as it is, I think it still holds it's own in the trails.

Just checked it out. It's a non-S model. Getting a bike street-legal in AZ is not that involved. Lights, horn, mirror, emissions is about it from what I can tell. Don't need hi-lo, don't need turn signals.

Runs pretty strong. The owner has added a desert tank, SuperTrapp and a larger sprocket. Should be just fine for the kind of riding that I want to do.

Kelbro, my main desert ride for a while was a 92 DR 350 off road model. (Off road model has a Mikuni TM 33 pumper carb) it is a great bike for some good riding. I switched over to an XR650R as I needed some more punch and was asking the DR 350 to do to much as I am doing a lot of long distance desert riding. It was stone reliable and was real fun to ride. It can be a little picky when changing elevations though. The 6 speed trans is great. I had zero problems with my bike.

Good luck, it sounds like a good choice for what you are looking at. Also check out "Maximum Suzuki" web site for more info.

My buddy has a 99 dr350se or should I say 407. Thanks Jesse. The bike is a great runner even before the big bore kit.Suspension needs an upgrade but that si in the works. Kientech.com is the authority on dr's and questions ask Jesse. Good Luck ?