Sign in to follow this  

1987 xr250r

Hi guys new boy here just purchased a 1987 honda XR250r in lovely condition trouble is i know nothing about them this being my first experience of 4 stroke crossers on first impressions seems to run well with a fair bit of low down power but seems to lose power very soon and does not seem to rev very high at all how fast are these things ment to go im a light weight and it will only just touch 120 kph and does not seem to get there very quick.Bought it to have a first time go at enduro now wondering if its up to it.

please help any mods checks i can do to check it up to its proper levels

thanks guys adam

i just recently had an 87 250 and it was pretty fast.... but it had lots of custom mods on it too... i think you made a good choice to start on the 250!! 🙂

Check out the "Gordon's Mods" and then she'll fly.

---------

1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier

plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter,white brothers e-series, snorkel removed, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90- Totally stock and she still rips!

Check the valves, clean the carb and take off the baffle. I have an 87 and it has some nuggs for an old 250.

First thing I'ld do is clean/change the air filter and check the inside of the gas tank for rust (is it a steel tank?). If it is rusty clean the fuel system from gas cap to intake manifold. You might want to pull the float bowl off and see what kind of crud you have in there anyway.

Next new plug, check valves...

If that don't energize her do a compression check.

120kph, wow mine only does about 85km's wfo. You must have some super high gearing on that bad boy! I got mine geared low for the bush it does really lose alot of top end speed. I would like the other guys said adjust the valves, change the oil filter and add the proper bike oil.

mine hits 100 WFO with bush gearing. I think it's doing okay, mine could go faster were it not for that damn bog.

120km/h seems about right if it has been geared for road, my 400 will pull around 120km/h with bush gearing not flat out. When you say its sluggish, what are you comparing it to? Remember its a 18 year old bike. Follow the advice above and see how it goes. EDIT: - Almost forgot, don't try and ride it like a 2 stroke, use that low-down power to your advantage and shift in the meat of the power. Older 4 strokes aren't designed to rev to the moon.

At one stage I had a 1990 XR250 which is exactly the same as an '87 save for the rear disc brake and better forks. I had all the restrictors pulled out, #128 main jet, #42 pilot, 13/46 gearing and I had it up to 140 km/h! Albeit it was absolutely flat out but it got there! I think the later 250's performance though is only slightly better as much of the engine specs are the same, only the better airbox, carb jetting and exhaust would perk the '96 on models up a bit.

Not sure about the carb, but I know there were a LOT of changes in '96!

bikerguy210:

I agree with what all these guys said about your new bike. Have fun 🙂

so in a nut shell i should check valves,clean everything ,take out baffles and rejet it.but wat do i rejet it to any ideas on size plus should i take this snorkle thing off to

thanks for all the help guys

Any of you from lincolnshire

1987 xr250

1994 cbr600