Sign in to follow this  

can a mxer be good at offroad riding?

can a mx rider be good at offroad riding,

my fren seems to tink its a piece of cake,

🙂

🙂

you mean like rodney smith? (multi-time gncc champ) or stefan everts (isde champ)?

mx-ers that actually ride offroad can be very very good. mx-ers that never ride offroad and try a real offroad race (or even some good idaho trailriding) will be in tears before long. i've seen it happen. it's funny.

mw

Top pro MX'ers are the best in the world.

It just depends on the rider other than that.

It depends on how tight and narrow the trails are, and if the motocross guys are used to riding on natural terrain type tracks. Also if they've never really trail ridden, chances are they're gonna get their butts handed to them.

Oh, you can't forget Mike Kreidowski (There is no way that my pea brain could spell that correctly). I remember I read an biography on Rodney Smith and for a couple years after racing MX over here, he went to Brazil or something like that to race for a couple years. He was a hit over there. Then he came back and did moto for a while, took a break, then went to off-road. Suzuki's off-road manager Mike Webb and his brother Dirt Bike's editor Tom Webb have taken the credit for bringing Mike K. into the off-road world. I'm not too sure how true that is though.

A good rider is a good rider, no matter where they prefer to ride. The best dirtbike riders gravitate to MX because that's where the fame and fortune is. Ask just about any off-roader if they would trade careers with RC and I bet they'd say yes in a heartbeat. Ask RC if he'd trade careers with any off-roader and he'd probably laugh in your face 🙂 .

🙂

Ty Davis is another example.

But as a few have stated earlier, if the mx'er has little or no experience, he will likely cry. They don't usually do rocks very well. Nor do they do long and steep uphills or downhills. Dust at speed is a big surprise for them. And here in the deserts of the great American West, it's like riding on marbles compared to the average mx track.

A famous industry insider I know very well is a very accomplished mx'er, and is also a wicked fast trail rider. He never raced a hare & hound until '02. His first was a National H&H here in SoCal, where he pitted with Destry Abbott and Brian Brown. He crashed 4 times, broke his thumb, tore off his camelback, and rode the last 40 miles on a flat front tire. He later claimed he was near death at the finish, and had no idea these off-roaders went so fast for so long.

He didn't cry, but it was close. And he's a tough guy.

They are if they race worcs, but those are basicly motocross races. I would imagiane that RC would be great in the woods. IMO I think the off-road series have to get back to the gnarleyness. Even the GNCC looks like its coming down from gnarlyness. The OMA series would be great if it could get more promotion. A Canadian GNCC would be great if you put it on in the right (gnarlyest, somewhere where the pros would have to walk there bikes) place:thumbsup:

Offroad enduro type riding is so different from MX,I used to race MX & nothing else but MX,Used to win races & thought I was all that :D Untill my mates decided it would be a good idea to take me out on the trails,I was like yeah this enduro stuff is a breeze... Flat trails.... EASY... And they were untill they took me straight up this slippery mud infested hill climb which they got up with no problems & I was left at the bottom of the hill 🙂 pushing,Pulling,sweating, dying of heat exhaustion..... Man I had never ridding so much hard tricky tarrain in my whole life, I must have crashed more times in one day than in my whole racing career, But now I ride/race enduro's all the time,They are just so much fun.... You get to ride your bike for WAY more hours than you'd get at any race,You learn how to rail ruts, wheelie over everything in sight,Climb hills & race ya mates down tracks, Infact it's made me a better racer,Corner speed has never been a problem from MX racing,But now I can rail berms better,Wheelie better,It's really helped to pick better lines, If your a racer & don't do any trail forest type ridding,I'd recommend getting out & doing some as you learn alot of stuff that you just don't learn on a MX track. 🙂

Doug Henry is a Good example.

Grate Motocrosser . And He Went Out And Won A GNCC. Or Two.

He Did Say It Was The Hardest Thing He Had Ever Done.

I Am A INT Motocrosser. I Have Went Out And Won A Few Desert Races.

Don’t Take Me Wrong It Was Hard Very Hard.

In Motocross You Go Hard For A Short Time. In Desert (offroad) You Really Have To Pace

Your Self.

Great topic! I would agree that it depends on how well the rider can adapt but for me, if I do a ton of MX laps then head for the woods I feel warmed up but still have to adapt BUT if I do a bunch of tight woods laps then head for the MX track I'm am so much more alert than before. I think it helps overall speed too because one get's used to smooth flowing lines in the woods and that helps me on the MX track (I do, however, have a nasty habit of blowing the first few turns after coming out of the woods onto the MX track--maybe it's just the excitement of really being able to open the throttle above 3rd gear.)

Travis Pastrana is now slouch in MX...when he's not hurt 🙂

...I think he's even better at off road. He bet a buddy $1000 he would podium last years Nerenburg (sp?) Enduro ( the worlds toughest off road race)

He finished 18th and lost the $1000.....but he was leading the race for quite awhile...until his bike got stuck in a tree for 30 minutes....not bad for his first time ever doing that event. 🙂

You have to be in way better shape in order to be in the GNCC series. They go like 3 hours. MXers only have to go 35 minutes. Thats nothing!

Tell that to Chad Reed, who was tested with a heart 'halter' monitor for an SX Main by a Michigan State University Medical lab. For over 22 min. his heart rate averaged over 185 BPM. Most of us humans, even 'off road riders' would be dead from that. Older MX'er Doug Henry won the Florida GNCC (and keeled over with dehydration cramps after the race) this year with a stock bike and little preparation for the event (and yes, I believe that Juha was there! :D ).

My point is that both events are very tough and you have to be in world class shape to be at the top of either. They both just take a different kind of shape- just think of a '100 meter sprinter' compared to a 'miler'. No reason to 'dis' either one, 🙂 unless you have some other reason besides reality. 🙂

Doug Henry is a Good example.

Grate Motocrosser . And He Went Out And Won A GNCC. Or Two.

He Did Say It Was The Hardest Thing He Had Ever Done.

I Am A INT Motocrosser. I Have Went Out And Won A Few Desert Races.

Don’t Take Me Wrong It Was Hard Very Hard.

In Motocross You Go Hard For A Short Time. In Desert (offroad) You Really Have To Pace

Your Self.

You won overall, or your class?

Which desert race(s)?

Who'd you beat?

Come on down to District 37 and give it a go. I'd venture a guess that it'll be a little different challenge than racing in NV.

You have to be in way better shape in order to be in the GNCC series. They go like 3 hours. MXers only have to go 35 minutes. Thats nothing!

Shut up.....Your probley fat like half of the off roaders out there. I do both and 35 minutes of MX is like 80000000 hours of offroad. 🙂

Look at ex youth MX prodigy Bobby Bonds or TravisP, these guys can run top spots, woods or endurance experience is definalty needed but as far as speed and conditioning go MXers have absolutly no disadvantage.

Its a totally different mentality in the woods than on the track. Most racers try to attack it to hard and end up crashed down in a ditch. The woods are very unpredictable unlike a mx track.

short answer: Yes

long answer: Yes

well... of COURSE they can but that dont mean if they have never rode trail that they will be good at it instantly, if thats what your saying, they'll probably crash alot b4 getting good at that.

this was a pointless thread.

All I know is that the guys I know that would waste me on a track I could smoke through the woods after anything more than a mile or two. Hell, the guys I trail ride with would have been whining about the stuff me and my dad rode today.