Sign in to follow this  

xr400 or xr250, good bike for me?

I am looking at getting my first bike, I have ridden my brothers xr650 a few times, and my friends yz125 a lot. I like both of these bikes but, I want to make it street legal so that puts the yz out, and the 650 is too tall, have to get on a milk crate to ride it. I want to ride it on the street and mx track and some wide open trails. Are these bikes good for this? I am 5'10", 165 lbs. I ride an 01' Honda 400ex. Just give me your opinion.

Im about the same size as you so here it goes. My xr400 is taller than my brothers xr650r is. Then again most newer full size bikes youre going to be on your tippy toes. You can make the xr400 street legal in some states and not in some states so youre going to have to check to see if you can on that. Now for the riding. For the wide open trails it would be the perfect bike. For mx, well there is better bikes out there to do it but I still race mine every so often at a mx track. Unless youre hitting 80ft plus jumps I think you will be ok. Power wise it is going to be a little stronger than your EX is. Its going to be lighter (go figure) and have more topend and a little more hp. Not sure why it has more Hp since its the same motor?

P.S Welcome to thumpertalk!

XR 400 all the way. You WILL get bored by the power delivery of the XR 250 very quickly if you've ridden YZ 125s and XR 650 Rs. At 5'10 you are tall enough to ride an XR 400 comfortably (unless you have a 26 inch inseam). The bike is one tough piece of work. My friends dad has an 01 and the guy beats the crap out of the bike pretty much each ride and the bike still comes back for more. It starts within 1-3 kicks cold and he valves haven't even been adjusted yet!!!! You will be happy with the XR 400

XR 400 all the way. You WILL get bored by the power delivery of the XR 250 very quickly if you've ridden YZ 125s and XR 650 Rs. At 5'10 you are tall enough to ride an XR 400 comfortably (unless you have a 26 inch inseam). The bike is one tough piece of work. You will be happy with the XR 400

exactly. avoid the 250 if you like the power of these other bikes. the 250 won't take much of an MX track w/o suspension work either.

The 400 would be good. 30 HP, OK for dual sport, Decent on a MX track, great on straightaways.

YoungGunXR the reason they have more power is b/c of the cam, it is a bigger cam for the xr than the ex. beyond that they are the same motor. thanks for the opinions. the biggest doubles at the mx track i ride at are 40ft so i should be good.

go with the xr 400 great trail bike. it can do anything you want it to. Just make sure that its ok to duel sport the bike in your state. If its not you will just have to buy a used bike that is duel sported because its already grandfathered in.

I recently decided on the XR250 over the 400. The trail riding in Maine is mostly tight woods stuff where the extra 20 lbs are more important than the extra power, and on the road having a 6th gear is a bonus. Plus, the money I saved by buying the XR250 I'm going to put into the motor when I get bored with the power.

Having said that, both bikes are great on the trails and you can't go wrong on either.