Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 vs. XR400

I am currently looking to replace my DR350 with a XR400 or DRZ400. I know these bikes are close in specs and I have read every test since 1996 and 2000 on both bikes - they are both great bikes. I would love to hear from some folks who have owned both bikes. I am looking for a bike to:

Dual Sport on fire roads, ride in the tight woods of East Texas, ride good well balanced wheelies and of course last for a long time with little or no work (oil and filter changes of course).

I am looking at a 2000 DRZ400S for about $2300 with 2k mikes and a 2002 XR400 for $2,500 with about 300 miles. The XR400 would need about 200.00 to get street legal so a leaning toward the DRZ (hence the post on the DRZ board).

I have rode each bike but never back to back. Thanks in advance for any advice

Tom

The Woodlands, TX :)

This has been answered a billion times. Both bikes have the same purpose...pretty close in price..reliable..etc..

Difference is..DRZ is better in every way. Use the search feature to find previous posts on the topic.

Forget the S (especially a 2000 model because the suspension is not the same as the 2002 and newer S and all years of E) and get an E model and convert it to street. I had both (the E model) and there is no comparison. As much as the DRZ blows away the XR, the one thing I will never give up is the magic electic start!

I am currently looking to replace my DR350 with a XR400 or DRZ400. I know these bikes are close in specs and I have read every test since 1996 and 2000 on both bikes - they are both great bikes. I would love to hear from some folks who have owned both bikes. I am looking for a bike to:

Dual Sport on fire roads, ride in the tight woods of East Texas, ride good well balanced wheelies and of course last for a long time with little or no work (oil and filter changes of course).

I am looking at a 2000 DRZ400S for about $2300 with 2k mikes and a 2002 XR400 for $2,500 with about 300 miles. The XR400 would need about 200.00 to get street legal so a leaning toward the DRZ (hence the post on the DRZ board).

I have rode each bike but never back to back. Thanks in advance for any advice

Tom

The Woodlands, TX :)

Yep, I like my bikes like my women.....with a magic button :)

yes this questions may have been asked a million or a billion times but it is still a hot topic and none were posted under the exact search .... thanks for the input.

The XR is better for big boys /230lbs+. Advantage xr suspension and aircooled. Advantage DRZ everything else! :)

The XR would not be as big of an upgrade as the DRZ, that said, I would look for an E model and dual sport it. At least you have that option, you don't live in a commie state.

The XR is better for big boys /230lbs+. Advantage xr suspension and aircooled. Advantage DRZ everything else! :)

Could you expand on your reasoning? Are you just limiting your statement to the 2000 DRZ S supension vs. the 2002 XR? Aircooled only has one advantage, no radiators to damage.

I'd ride both if you can. I have never rode an XR, but I would like to. I'm sure my DRZ has more power, but the XR has to be lighter. I bought my DRZ used with 600 miles on it. The seller told me he rode the XR and the DRZ. He said the DRZ felt much better. What ever that means.

I have a 05 drz400s and 2 friends with dualsported xr400s. Although the Drz is heaver than the XR it is balanced better and feels lighter underneath you. It feels much lighter.

The XR is old school but really good old school. It has awesome suspension, torque and a reliable aircooled engine. If it aint broke why fix it when you can discontinue it. I dont know why Honda D/C'd that bike instead of dualsporting it or supermotoing it.

The DRZ has more power on the dyno charts that I have seen on Thumpertalk. I cant feel much difference in power when riding both bikes side by side. I would always sacrifice power anyday for reliability but that is not an issue with either of these bikes.

The DRZ has somewhat of an intangible quality that the XR does not have. I feels better to ride. I like My DRZ better than the XR but the DRZ needs suspension work for my fat ass.

I hope that helps! :)

I changed my mind/answer: Please buy the XR because I want the demand for DRZ's to go down so I can afford to buy an S model to ride on the street and be able to keep my off-road only E model.

I am going to start trash talking the DRZ and then hopefully in about 6-months I can drive the value down enough. I mean you have the whole cam chain tensioner thing and....I need to work on it because that is all I can think of!

BTW, the whole argument of the XR not having radiators to worry about is a double-edge sword. Sure, if you are not running guards on your DRZ you could crush one, but more than once I got my XR so hot it pinged so loud someone I was riding with could hear it!