Sign in to follow this  

Better Gearing...

I am 220lbs on a stock 50 motor with suspension upgrades (obviously) and was curious if I went down a tooth on the front sprocket if that will help me keep up with my neighbor who is only 150lbs? - acceleration wise.

Even when we switch bikes he just pulls away significantly... so it isn't because one bike is faster than the other, but because of my weight.

So the question - If I drop to a 13T front would that help... or would I need to go to a 12T in the front or just go up to a 39 on the rear?

What have you guys done that has worked and how much different does a gear change make?

wont do much, and will definetly be slower. 155, 275, 400, 650, are all costs of awesome bore kits that have the power youll want, the higher the # the more power 🙂

For the cost of it ($10 ea) and how easy it is, just get both -1T and -2T countershaft sprockets and give it a try.

I would expect some improvement in acceleration by gearing it down, but nothing really mind-blowing.

Talk to Don at the TT store about the sprockets.

Hey, a subject I've been playing with! We've been playing with gearing recently trying to make our bikes work the same. We all weigh pretty much the same, though

Yes, it will help - but not much. Dropping one tooth in the rear is similar to adding two up front. If you drop a front tooth (to 13 - stock is 14), you'll make first even more useless than it is already. You will also loose top end.

What gear is it that you're using the most? If it's mainly second gear, then give 13/37 or 13/38 a try. that shortens up the ratios - makes you use second and third more - and makes 1st a waste of space in the cases. Your top end will SUFFER, though...

I agree with the upgrade on the displacement. 88cc's is just about perfect for back yard play.

Just got a 13T front sprocket... will give a try and see. Never thought about loosing first... good point. I figure it is only $12 for a front sprocket - might as well give it a try.

Do I have to take the clutch cover off to get to the sprocket and change it?

The only problem with an 88cc kit is I would have to go with an after market pipe and I like the stock pipes noise level. I don't mind the power... we just putt around anyway - I just want to be able to stay up with the skinny kid (big kid). Hehe.

oh and krum your confused, the clutch is on the other side of the motor. you do have to remove the flywheel cover, 3 8mm bolts, no oil will come out with the cover off.

remember what bolt goes in what hole, if u put a long bolt on the short hole you will start to have an oil leak.

I would try a 15 tooth and a 16 tooth counter sprocket. The 15 and 16 tooth will both make 1st useable, but still lower then 2nd gear with stock gearing.

Then instead of using 2nd and 3rd like you probably do now you can use 1st and 2nd, then you have 3rd gear really tall so you know you wont ever run out of gearing.

On the tight track I race at 13/39 worked well on a stock 50 motor w/internal rotor ignition. 1st gear is just for big hills, anyway.

Don't go small on the countershaft. It might work fine for a while but it will accelerate the wear and tear. Go bigger on the rear if you want to get some life out of your chain and sprockets.

Agreed, but on the fiddy you're kind of stuck with going down on the front due to ground clearance issues on the rear.

Put the 13T front sprocket and didn't notice much of a difference. :applause: My buddy still beats me in a drag race on the street. Oh well. Only way to fix that is to lose 75lbs or get an 88cc kit. Neither will happen anytime soon.

Again, try a larger rear but if you're running a chain guide you'll have to modify it. I'm running a 39 but a 40 would be better. If you get much bigger that that you'll be dragging it in ruts.

Nothin' replaces displacement, though...