Sign in to follow this  

400SM on Regular gas?

Can the 400SM be run on Regular gas? Premium gas is difficult to get where I live. Thanks.

Yes you can, but at 55mpg, I go ahead and run it on the good stuff. If you have long highway runs, I'd suggest you use the good stuff for that.

It'd also come in handy the first time you're trying that 80ft triple. 🙂🙂

With the lower compression of the machine it will run just fine on regular. I wouldn't try it with my E but an S. That's one of it's strong points with gas so high. pdawg 🙂🙂

Yes you can, but at 55mpg, I go ahead and run it on the good stuff. If you have long highway runs, I'd suggest you use the good stuff for that.

It'd also come in handy the first time you're trying that 80ft triple. 🙂🙂

That's just not how it works.

I went from 91 octane to 87-mid grade in wyo& now I go about 10 miles further before hitting reserve

With stock compression on a "S" or "SM" anything above 87 octane is a waste of money

That is exactly right 🙂 many folks think they are gaining performance, mileage, etc. by running a higher octane when, in fact, it may be detrimental, more expensive and wasteful. Use what the engine was designed to use as stated in the manual. 🙂:D

I went from 91 octane to 87-mid grade in wyo& now I go about 10 miles further before hitting reserve

I've noticed that 87 gets better mileage too.

If its made for 87, 87 is the way to go... Running higher octane will end up in less combustion efficiency, since the atomized fuel is not getting a complete burn, you're actually just wasting more fuel...