Sign in to follow this  

Looking for good mechanic in San Diego

I just bought a 2004 XR400R and would like to have some work done on it and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good shop or mechanic in the San Diego area. Also, does anyone have any experience with the Kouba link? I'm 5'8" and the bike is a little tall for me.

If you don't mind driving to Phelan (near Victorville), you could try Rob Barnum of Barnums Pro Products. He's a professional mechanic, racer, suspension tuner, performance engine builder, fabricator, etc, and has gobs of professional experience on bikes, ATV's, etc. He works on all brands of bikes and is magic with the XR's and he even does warranty work for Honda and other brands of bikes / ATV's as an authorized mechanic.

Barnums Pro Products

(760) 868-8097

I havn't been very happy with xrsonly. They have had my cylinder head for a simple bore for four weeks now. Now, I can't go on vacation to ride in New Mexico. Everytime I talk to them, they have a very bad attitude. Also, the sent me the wrong things. I will never buy from them again

i have heard bad things about xrs only.

i guess i have just been lucky.

fortunately all my motor work is done.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at XR's Only, but they've been going through some changes over the years from what I understand and things have 'improved' again in the last year and are still getting better from what I understand. Don't give up on them yet as they have some good people there and will hopefully resolve things before its too late to go on your New Mexico vacation. Perhaps you can try escallating the issue up to the owner. I hope it works out for you in the end.

Rob Barnum was at Al Bakers XR's Only from the beginning as their mechanic & suspension guru for a number of years and he left to start his own business when Al died, but he was heavily involved with XR's Only when they were originally making a name for themselves and he was directly involved with the development of the Suzuki DR350 in addition to doing R&D for various performance & suspension shops. He's also a test rider for Maxxis and various magazines and was quoted in ATV Rider Magazine as being a meticulous assembler / fabrication wizard / dyno dynamo and master mechanic.

youll get used to the height. im 5'8 and i ride an xr400. what kind of work are you wanting to do. a lot of the private owned shops are pretty good. the one up here in ramona where i go to are pretty good, just the people are a little grouchy sometime.