Sign in to follow this  

off road air pressure in deathwings

whats the safest I can air deathwings down to for off road without rim locks?

"Safe", "Deathwings", " Offroad" These words should not be used in the same sentence. 🙂

I run down to 15 psi on knobbies ... however there is a risk of ripping the valve stem, although I have not had it happen yet. With the stock tires I would probably run as low as 12 psi, due to the lack of knobs

0 pounds the damn things belong in the trash not offroad. You can ride them on the street as much as you want. You're asking for broken bones using the things off road. I've seen pro riders fall on their butts trying, the tires belong in a trash can not on your bike. pdawg 🙂🙂

pdawg , I know, I know. But it's my buddies bike and thats all he has right now. The wings stink on anything less than pavement but he has to use them on a ride tomarrow. So I think airing them down a bit will help. I just don't know how low I can go without ripping the valve stem off. 12 sound good?

If he insists 12 should be fine unless it's really rocky then use a couple more pounds. heck Chen Chens are way better than the deathwings. I just had to try again. I hate seeing people get hurt. pdawg

I Have No Idea What Pressures Are In My Deathwings But I Rode Very Tight Trails Over The Weekend With Sand And Lots Of Grass Mixed In And They Worked Better Than I Thought They Would. I Only Feel Down Twice Trying To Keep Up With The 4 Wheelers

I no longer have trail wings on my bike. I think I ran around 18 - 20 psi. The only time I had a problem with the trailwings was in sand and mud. There were a few hills I could not climb and descending down a steep hill can be scary on the trail wings. You not going to compete on a track with a trailwing either.

I think I have Pirelli MT 21's on my bike now. The rear MT 21 is not bad but I've had scarier experiences with the front MT 21 than I ever had with trailwings.

I will buy trailwings again. I will never buy a front MT 21 again.

I was running the wings at 14 never had a problem. I wouldn't go much below that with out locks

my vote is no lower than 15psi, that's what I've ran on motocrossers on the front tire and can still f brake hard enough to get the front rim lock to tweak forward. With no lock I'm pretty sure I'd have gotten alot of tire movement

After breaking three ribs wile riding off-road with my Deathwings (the day after I got the bike), it cost me about $700 for the ER visit and two days off of work. If your friend can't afford a $100 pair of Kenda tires, he can't afford the risk of riding off-road with the Deathwings.

After breaking three ribs wile riding off-road with my Deathwings (the day after I got the bike), it cost me about $700 for the ER visit and two days off of work. If your friend can't afford a $100 pair of Kenda tires, he can't afford the risk of riding off-road with the Deathwings.

A stubborn man learns from his mistakes

A wise man learns from others's mistakes

pdawg , I know, I know. But it's my buddies bike and thats all he has right now. The wings stink on anything less than pavement but he has to use them on a ride tomarrow.

Friends don't let friends ride Deathwings off-road :D Seriously though, they are so bad, it's not if he'll fall but when....the five minutes I've spent in dirt was marred by front tire wash out at almost every turn. I consider my bike NOT off-road ready untill knobbies are on. 🙂🙂

I rode my deathwings off road with the stock pressure. 18 22. I know they arent off road tires and they slid around but they really werent that bad. Its very muddy rocky terrain here too. the only time i had problems were on wet leaves up hill. I dont mind sliding around though, just have to use the terrain like you were in a pin ball machine.