Sign in to follow this  

Help needed wiring Baja Designs tailight on a 450X

I’m installing my Baja Designs rear fender with LED taillight and I’ve run into a wiring problem. It turns out that the stock taillight is wired really strangely and I can’t pull power off of it. What I want to do is power my Baja Designs taillight only when the bike is running, like the stock light. If I wire it hot all the time with a switch I’ll forget it for sure and kill my battery. So I need to find a place to pull power that’s only available when the engine is running. Can anyone help me out?

You should be able to parallel it to the stock light for the running light portion and then pickup the taillight side from the brake switch. Did you ask the guys at BD? I understand they're helpful but I don't know since I bought a Trick kit. Try posting on the dual sport forum.

Thanks for the suggestion on using the stock wires for the tailight. When I check I got voltage out of both, even with the bike not running. Since LEDs will burn out if power is applied to their ground side, I was very hesitant to even try to use the stock wires. So I contacted a buddy with a wiring diagram of the bike and he gave me a lot of information. Basically I used the yellow and green wires coming out of the rectifier. Yellow being power, and green ground. This is AC power, since it's part of the circuit coming off the stator not the battery. I found out the hard way it's AC. Actually it only tingles a bit, it won't bite you like 110. The Baja Designs LED tailight has the ability to accept either AC or DC power so it worked like a charm.

Now I'm a little closer to being legal. So far I've got a license plate, license plate light, brake light, and a mirror. Hopefully that will be enough to keep the cops from looking to close at me because I'm doing a dual sport tomorrow. Daylight riding should be fine as long as I stay in a pack of bikes 🙂