Sign in to follow this  

Taking Carb off

How do you get the carb off the bike I have never worked with one like this just the one on my XR100 I took the top the carb off and don't see the jets so I figure I probably have to take the carb off and go in through the bottom. How do I get it off. Whats the best way to unhook this throttle cable? I unescrewed both the hose clamp things so basically it looks like just the throttle cable is holding it in but I'm not sure. Is it bolted in somewhere else? I just want to get to the jets because I think the pilot jet is clogged.

Do a search on this one; a while back some TTers posted detailed instructions on their preferred methods.

Time to get yourself a service manual.

Some have reported undoing the throttle cables and boot clamps and turning the carb sideways. Jets are in the float bowl.

I think most here would agree it's best just to remove the carb. It's a tight fit. If you want to, you can undo the rear 3 sub-frame bolts and it will drop away about 3/4 inch giving extra room to manoeuver the carb out and back in.

Check for previous threads for more detail.

I have a a service manual and I hate that damn thing the worst $60 I spent. I like the service manuals to most things but I don't like this Suzuki one. I ot it flipped so I could get to the jets. I don't think they were the problem as it still doesn't run correctly but I did notice my throttle cable was coming apart how hard are these to replace?

Disconect the cables/hoses and losen the bootclamps. Now pull the rear boot off the carb and tuck it in the frame to give you some room. Next pop the carb off the front boot and slide it out carefully on the left side of the bike if your sitting on it. 🙂 It's not as bad as some make it out to be. 🙂

I follow a method like rockchucker22's. Just remember that the bowl screw heads strip easily and most seem to replace with allen heads. I used an impact driver (special screwdriver that you hit with a hammer) and it worked great. I was able to re-use the stock screws. Also, the cables simply remove right at the carb by backing off the jam nuts. Good luck.

I just used large vise grips, just get a tight hold as you can get on the heads and break loose, easy no stripping involved.

The guys that have succesfully broke loose with screwdriver that's pretty good.

Rockchuckers is the method I use. I timed it today, took all of 15 minutes from the time I turned the bike off at the staging area to pull the seat and tank to pulling the carb, changing the pilot jet, installing the carb, seat, tank and setting the fuel screw. I could pull out within 15 minutes, could be faster if I tried but I was also drinking a pop and snacking while working on it.

The method rockchucker uses is the best way to get these carbs off. It only took my pulling the exhaust off subframe up 5 times to figure it out 🙂 You should have no problem with the carb bowl screws if you use a good quality screwdriver of the proper size and if you need a hammer impact to get them off they were WAY TOO TIGHT. Result.... stripped screws or worse 🙂

Rockchuckers is the method I use. I timed it today, took all of 15 minutes from the time I turned the bike off at the staging area to pull the seat and tank to pulling the carb, changing the pilot jet, installing the carb, seat, tank and setting the fuel screw. I could pull out within 15 minutes, could be faster if I tried but I was also drinking a pop and snacking while working on it.

Just don't spill any of that pop into the carb 🙂🙂

I'm even more leary of dropping screws/small parts in the gravel parking lot of the staging area 🙂 so I work over a black truck box mounted on the trailer 🙂 Even then I'm very careful....

I'm even more leary of dropping screws/small parts in the gravel parking lot of the staging area 🙂 so I work over a black truck box mounted on the trailer 🙂 Even then I'm very careful....
Yea I have seen people loose stuff at stageing areas, I carry a painters tarp that I put down when doing any kind of outdoor work on my bike.