Sons Bike ...Got a 50 and a 70....the 70's a dog!!!!!!

? My son hav been riding the 50 for 3 years now... and he is getting good.

My nephew has out grown the 70 soooo My son has been riding the 70 for the past few weeks.... Its a DOG... I want to up grade the 50

What Suspension do ya recommend... Then mabey an 88cc kit...

The 70 is just a big dog slow 50.. with no after market... He just fits the 70.

Wondering what suspension for the 50 will get him in the ballpark.

Thanks Guys!!!!

theres soo many different kits you need to set yourself up with a budget first. then you need to figure out what styles you want to go with. bmx or mx, longtravel or stock style(f&r)

race head 88 for 400 + oil pump 30 + clutch 70 + exaust 200 + marzocchi front end 1300 + elka shock 400 + standard billetware swingarm 300 + standard billetware frame 350 = 3,050$ stay away from the ishock, they are a failing brand.trailbikes motor parts are good.

The 70's a slug because it's geared way too tall. Drop three teeth on the front, go up three in the back and if that doesn't help put the primary gears from a 50 in it (also requires the matching clutch part). These mods are cheap and you won't believe the difference.

I'm currently running a stock 70 motor in my race fiddy with the aforementioned gearing and it works great. You might even need to go bigger on the rear than a 39 because the bigger wheels up your gearing, too. On the rear go up three teeth at time--one or two is not really noticeable.

Put a big bore kit on the XR70.

MOST of the motor kits that fit the xr50 also fit the xr70

Oh and the best suspension for a 50 is in no way teh speed forks and fast 50s X shock. The speed forks are up there one list but not the greatest imo, but the X shock is a bottom of the barrel shock.

The best suspension is the marzocchi or stratos forks with a bbr perimeter frame.

Ok back to the subject, if you dont want to put a big bore kit on the 70 to make it a little faster then BBR SP5 forks, a works shock and a BBR +2 super stock swingarm.

How about this?

The BBR sp-5 damper rods drop right in for $89. If a kid is riding it you can put one BBR spring in it and sell the other to someone else (I can use a stock XR70 fork spring by the way.)

Replace the shock with something better (maybe I-shock or works something not too expensive)

Get a TB motor kit and you should be good to go w/o spending $thousands on suspension work and a motor for a $700 minibike.

SOoooooooooooo........

This is the situation.......8 year old.... three years experience.

2001 XR70....Woods Single track some mild track stuff, though I think hare scrambles are in his future.....Proposed mods..

Tag or protaper bars

Upper Tripple clamp

Uni filter( Rip old air box out)

Down 1 in the front

Up 2 to 3 in the back

Rev Box

Rejet to 62 main.

I would like to add the 88cc kit (Race Head)... I am guessing that this is something he could wheelie....Damper Inserts (BBR) And I shock)....

Opinions

Oh and I am hip to the oil pump upgrade , heavier clutch springs that need to go with the 88CC Honda Trail Kit....

What do You guys think..... I could do all of this for under a grand....

educate me please..... :eek::applause:

70 comes with a 62 main in it, revbox wont help stock motor much.

the oil pump and clucth springas are minor accesories, on a 70 the clutch already has more clutch power so u dont need that. think the 70 flows more oil than a 50 too, not too sure on that tho. only needed if you start overheting and your jetted up proper.