Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on Free Mods

I have a WR250f and am wondering if you guys have any opinions on them. If I do the free mods will it make the bike less reliable? What about if I do cam timing, grey wire, throttle stop, but no baffle removed, too loud. What do each of them do to affect reliablitity if anything? 🙂

The exhaust cam timing seems to me to be one that would not effect reliability, because it would actually be setting the cam to the "right" position. Any thoughts?

Grey wire, this one seems like it could affect reliablity alot if the spark is advanced alot compared to WR specs. Again, any thoughts?

Throttle stop, this seems like it "could" have some affect, But I am not much of a WFO rider, I use a little more throttle control (mostly ride on trails).

I am just one to want to save money, don't want to rebuild all the time, dont want to break down on the trail, etc. I wouldn't mind doing these mods if they genuinely didnt affect reliability.

Ok any thoughts on the baffle? I have heard it could make excess heat buildup in the exhaust/possibly motor by leaving it in. Not to mention power loss. I am not looking for a top end screamer though, low to mid is what I'd like to stay in if it is faster or close to as fast to do so(again less wear and tear, I presume). I wouldn't mind doing something with the exhaust, but I am cheap, need to keep the spark arrestor, and keep it quiet. So I am looking into baffle mods or replacement baffles. The GYT baffle looks good because of price, but what about performance/reliability factor, anything? What about the GYT compared to others?

Ok, I guess that is enough for now, thanks for reading and any help you can give. 🙂

I have an 02 wr250 and have done most of the free mods including yz exhaust cam, grey wire, throttle stop, White brothers exhaust, airbox lid, reject to 178. I have had absolutely zero reliability issues. The mods have given me much more performance (and as far as I can tell) better fuel economy. The only downside is the WB exhaust is loud. The bike sounds really good but it is not quiet.

If you like the way the bike performs now I would leave it alone. If you want more throttle do the gray wire and throttle stop. If you want more power, advance the timing (I assume you have an 03 or newer) and/or open up the airbox and exhaust and rejet it. A friend of mine has an 04 and was looking into the gyt insert and apparently it is actually louder than no baffle at all (I find this hard to believe but I think he was reading dB ratings).

I just got my WR a few weeks ago and have done:

throttle stop - Good increase in revs/power

Airbox - More noise, didn't notice much, but I do need to rejet

Moved the needle up one spot - Helped with mid range stagger

Stinger restricter - didn't notice anything, but it probably helps

Grey Wire - Good mid range boost. Haven't revved to the top yet so I don't know about that.

The best was the Wire and Throttle stop by far.

I did all the free mods a couple of years ago and have had no reliability issues. Like you, I'm a lugger not a revver. In fact, I can't remember ever hitting the rev limiter on my WR. Laugh all you want, but I still have a lot of fun with it.

Even though I'm not up on the pipe all the time, I get tremendous benefit from all these mods, because when I slam the throttle open, things start happening fast. I like being able to jump on it hard and have the bike respond. You shouldn't pooh-pooh mods that help top end just because you don't have the bike wound out all the time. These mods help a lot, even for luggers like us.

Also, I felt that the GYT-R tip was a worthwhile investment at only $40. It helped the bike breath better, and wasn't much louder than the stock baffle. However, if you don't mind being a little louder still, find a YZF exhaust to put on your WR. Lots of guys on the list have 'em lying around because they bought an aftermarket exhaust. I got my for $50, and it makes a tremendous difference in both weight and power.

Do the mods one at a time so you can feel the effect of each one. Some are more effective than others, but in sum they make a big difference. Anytime you can increase the fun-factor you should go for it, especially if it's free and doesn't have a reliability downside.

The grey wire should have no effect on reliability at all. In Australia the bike doesn't come with a gray wire and they are just as reliable here as over there. My bike came from the shop with the throttle screw changed and the baffle out. All i had to do was the airbox mod and change the needle. All in all i would say they are well worth it. With yamaha reliability you shouldn't have a problem. 🙂

If you want more power, advance the timing (I assume you have an 03 or newer) and/or open up the airbox and exhaust and rejet it.

No, sorry I didn't say earlier. I have a 2002 I bought it used a few days ago, and none of the mods were done besides remove airbox lid. I have read a little on Thumperfaq.com and this was interesting:

"Changing to the YZF timing on the WRF improves mid-range and top-end power without a significant sacrifice in low-end, according to most riders who have done this mod."

Significant? How much gain in power mid/top end and how much bottom is sacrificed. Anybody that has done this mod notice a difference in the bottom end after the cam mod?

It looks like I will be at least disconnecting the Grey wire and shortening the throttle stop. Time to look up the throttle stop mod....

Losing bottom end was my biggest worry going to the YZ timing. It took me over a year to finally decide to pull the trigger. As it turned out, my fears were unfounded. I don't feel any difference in the bottom end. As for top end, during my first ride with the cam, I pulled a 3rd gear wheelie to try and feel the difference, but I wasn't in exactly the right part of the power band, and mis-timed the wheelie a little bit. Normally that would have brought my front tire back down, despite adding plenty of throttle. Instead, I was able to turn it into a nice long wheelie that I finally set down about 1/2 way through 4th gear. 🙂🙂

Since you've got an 02, you can merely advance the timing. 03 and later bikes (like mine) should purchase the YZF cam. These years have auto-decompression and simply advancing the timing won't work. Many people with your year bike go ahead and buy the 03 YZF cam anyway to get the auto-decompression. Do a search and you'll find lots of testimonials regarding what a nice mod this is. It makes starting the bike much, much easier. The cam can be purchased for ~$120.