Sign in to follow this  

xr 200 pricing

HI I am thinkg about buying a 1996 xr200 with a pipe on it. The back shock is shot. The guy that is selling it is asking 900 is that a good deal or not

Yesser, I'd say that's a good deal. My cousine bought a 93' model (His rear shock was blown too...) that was all stock, and kinda shabby lookin' for $800. I say go for it.

i would advise against it a couple of reasons. first being depending on where you are riding if does not have disc brakes only drum brakes. well sorry, thats the only reason.

HI I am thinkg about buying a 1996 xr200 with a pipe on it. The back shock is shot. The guy that is selling it is asking 900 is that a good deal or not
Yes it is a good deal. I, myself would buy it on the spot if it ran good, didn't rattle or smoke and the blown rear shock was the only problem.

The '96 rear shock was junk from the factory. I have seen better rear shocks on $150.00 mountain bikes at ToYs R uS!

Good news is you can get a replacement shock off of eBaY for around $35.00 if your patient.

Do a search on TT for XR 200 suspension mods.

Just a few word of advice:

When looking to purchase a used dirt bike keep an eye out for other tell tale signs of abuse and neglect and try to get a feel for how much use it has actually had.

Dirt/trail bikes usually don't have an odometer so there is no way of really knowing how many miles/hours have been put on the bike.

Check to see if the bike still has the original tires. If not stock is it on the 2nd rear? ASK!

Does the bike still have the stock sprockets and chain? Look, ASK! If so are the teeth on the sprockets worn or "hooked?"

Pull the dipstick out and wipe some oil on your fingers. Is it black or gritty? Smell it, does it smell "burnt"? ASK how often the oil was changed and by who. Was it taken to the dealer for regular maintanence?

DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS! The more you talk with the seller, the more the history of the machine will come out.

Topend is just a piston and bore, or just a piston. You'e looking at about $75 or so for a piston with gaskets and may $35-45 for the bore, but the bottomend is only rebuilt if something is wrong. This don't even touch unless you have a decent knowledge of motors and have taken them apart before. If you get one shim wrong in the tranny, it won't shift right and you'll have to take it apart all over again. Price wise if you do it yourself about 8 hours work and $50-250 for each piece that need replacing. If the tranny or crank is bad, either get a complete bottomend on ebay or complete motor and which ever motor is better put those parts in the other one to get one of them running. It's way way cheaper to do it this way than buy any one part from the dealer. One gear could cost up to $125!!! Just a flywheel is $399!!!! The only thing you need from a dealer is the gasket kit.

I just did a rebuild on my '96 XR200 that included valve job with 2 new valves, new piston & rings with bore at 20 over, complete gasket set, new cam chain. I did all the disassembly and assembly but the shop did the valve job and the bore. Total cost $328.

Dave

i would advise against it a couple of reasons. first being depending on where you are riding if does not have disc brakes only drum brakes. well sorry, thats the only reason.

I'm wondering if you actually read the question. :applause: