Sign in to follow this  

KLR 250 vs Honda NX 250? KLR 250 gas mileage?

Just wondering how the KLR 250 compares to the Hona NX 250. Both are liquid cooled dual-sports with DOHC 4-stroke engines. The NX is wimpier and softer, more for street, I know that much.

What sort of gas mileage could I expect from a 1990 KLR 250?

🙂

I get around 55mpg in the city, with bone stock jetting, riding like a total jackass (WFO off every traffic light, etc...). I've gotten nearly 60 on the highway if I kept the speed to 65mph.

The real consideration for offroading is more the bodywork on the NX. Nice looking bike, won't be after a trip through the woods.

Devon

My 2004 klr 250 gets about 60-65 mpg with minor modifications. I was getting like 70 mpg before. Where you are looking at an older one, it may not be as efficient, but still really good.

My '01 KLR gets 60 to 75 mpg bone stock, depending on how much trail vs highway is encountered between fillups. My last 250 Honda was an '80 250 custom which only got around 50 mpg, but I suspect that things have changed.

Cheers----Chris (buy the KLR)

Any Canadians with a Kawasaki KLR 250? What kind of fuel economy are you getting?

thanx,

:crazy:

I'd expect the fuel mileage between the two to be comparable; does the Honda have an "overdrive" sixth gear, like the Kawasaki?

How signifcant is any difference, and--what's the threshold, making fuel economy a deal breaker? E.g., 10 %? 20 %?

Unless the bike's a primary transportation source involving high mileage (in contrast to discretionary, recreational bike use), I'd be surprised if gas mileage is an appropriate driver for a purchase decision.

BTW; my stock KLR 250's mileage is comparable to others posted on this thread; I begin looking for a service station in earnest after 100 odometer miles, but have ridden much farther without switching to "RESERVE."

Bottom line; I'd suggest you get the bike you like better, fuel economy notwithstanding.

Its for use commuting and I want to use the least fuel possible. Being able to plunk around on dirt roads and trails is a bonus, thats why I am not looking at a street bike, but my primary concern is fuel economy. I'd grab a Honda XL/NX 125 if I could find one. The Kawasaki KLR 250 is great because it is efficient, and being liquid cooled, its got better emissions than air cooled bikes, and is more off-road worthy than the NX 250.

Still, its mostly just a curiosity. I am just wondering out of comparison.

thanx,

:crazy:

Then, fear not the KLR250!

Expect road mileage in excess of 60 miles per US gallon.

Further, with the 6th (overdrive) gear, you won't be winding the engine like a bumblebee trapped in a jar at highway speeds.

I think the KLR250's design goals remain very close to your own objectives; and--I think Kawasaki did a pretty good job, achieving those goals.

Although air-cooled (you expressed a preference for liquid cooling), I wouldn't rule out the Super Sherpa; the electric start may be an advantage, and the lower seat height may be more convenient for urban commuting.

Regardless, I'd expect the Kawasakis mentioned to fill your requirements.

Although air-cooled (you expressed a preference for liquid cooling), I wouldn't rule out the Super Sherpa; the electric start may be an advantage, and the lower seat height may be more convenient for urban commuting.

I have to agree with this. For your intentions, this seems like the better bike. It is a bit better on the road and can still do offroading okay if you want it to. I think the engine has a bit more oomph as well.

I put about 10,000 miles on a 2001 KLR250.On my 65 mile a day commute using lots of 60-65 mph freeways, I would get about 64-66 mpg. Now, during the 500 mile breakin period, when I was not revving over 4000 rpm (about 34-40 mph in 5th as I recall?), I actually got about 85mpg. Mine never used any measurable amount of oil, and I miss that 250.

JJN

problem with a 125 is you won't get the life expectancy you will with a 250 bigger means tougher usuallyand who wants to get killed cause your too slow ....better to have a few more horses in your stable when u need it ..

I had a NX250 for about 5 years. Bulletproof motor and was a great bike, but as

mentioned, the plastics wont stand up to much crashing offroad, and honda wanted

a fortune for the parts back then. I had it 88-94 or so.

I rode it offroad a lot, and the thing ended up with a lot of duct tape holding the

cracked plastics on. Got good mileage, and was a great street ride. Thing would

lean over until it scraped the footpegs easy.

Main draw back was the deathwing tires. Back then I couldnt find any replacement

tires that fit it. (fat 16" rear and 19" front)

I have a 94 KLR250 that I opened the air box up on,rejetted the carb,and installed an FMF Powercore 4 Q (for a KX250F).The last time I filled the tank I reset the trip odometer.Yesterday I topped it off and put in 2.004 gallons,the trip odometer read 143 miles.Not too bad!!! :excuseme:

Yesterday I took my first long ride on my Klr250 filled up and rode 185 miles all backroads not much hot rodin. I filled up after the ride only took a little over 2 gallons about 2.15 and I coundn't get another drop in. :bonk: Thats close to 90 miles a gallon can that be right, I was shocked. Anyway I'll take that anyday, heck I'd be happy with 60. Bike only has 800 miles on it, I bought it with around 350. This was my longest ride ride yet on it and I'm lovin it. :excuseme:

I have the 2006 KLX250S and am consistantly getting 76mpg while commuting at non-highway speeds of about 50mph. The bike is totally stock.

HONDA HONDA HONDA.

Ive owned 80+ Motorcycles.  1/2 thumpers.  The NX250 was the best MPG's motorcycle of them all by a lot. ( that could keep up with traffic )

Every fill up I pinched myself. I weign 260lbs and would get 85-90 miles per gallon.  One thing however, it took premium.  I figured it was the 11-1

compression, but the KLR250 is 11-1 also and from what I read it doesnt require premium.  THese days there is about 70 cents more per gallon for premium. ( 2017 ).

But try and find a NX250. they sold them 2 years.  there are millions of KLR250's.  that is what i have in my stable now.