R-D Husqvarna Taper Core

Has anyone done the Taper core on a USA Husky yet? 2005 TE510

I have the Big Gun core on order. It is just a straight perforated tube that you cut to size.

Not yet installed.

Trying to keep the spark arrestor in place, It is at the front end of silencer.

Dear Lord hear my plea, Don't let me even consider trying to pipe up more power from my 05 TE-510. The beast has all the power I ever need. Just say no to the power addiction is my motto I swear please keep me steady Lord............ ?

Yes. Husky has. The TC can has a slight taper to it but is still a straight through design. I'm running the TC can right now until I find a swinging deal on a Leo Vince full system. At any-rate the seat of the pants feeling is that I picked up one to two hp pretty much every where. Intestingly, I didn't need to reject from stock whatsoever on my SM510R—sort of like this was the can that was "supposed" to come on the bike?

Dog the Big Gun one is just the core... you need to cut off the end cap. Then weld or somehow connect the new core to the end cap. I thought I could just use stock cap, or big gun put a cap on it, but NO. Can't find anyone that makes a different end cap for the stock exhaust can. ?

And the core fits fine around the spark arrestor.

You sure there, Bob. GP Motorcycles have an Akropovic full system hanging on the wall. Man, is that sucker trick! Beautiful welded titanium all the way through- you know that sexy blue color it turns when heated? Smoothed beads. The muffler is shaped for rear brake caliper clearance, for Pete's sake! The thing's a work of art. I'd buy it, but it's not noise/spark legal in Cali. Plus it's (gulp) $900. How'd you feel about a dent in that one?

Intestingly, I didn't need to reject from stock whatsoever on my SM510R—sort of like this was the can that was "supposed" to come on the bike?

I have the Doma can. I had the exact same experience with the jetting! It really is like the stock jetting is for a race can. The Doma is not tapered. I feel i picked up about the same-1-2 hp...but the real advantage is the bike revs a lot faster, and there is less backpressure.

For sure the 510 could use a few more ponnies. I got outdragged by a CR500 yesterday...nothing i could do. Time for a 540cc kit!

Irondude, I wouldn't feel too bad about being "outdragged by 2S CR500". If it was in good condition, there isn't many offroad bikes that can outrun it in a straight line.

Duck under him in a hard slick corner:)

I had a couple of KTM 520's and I was pretty used to being able to outdrag most bikes on straightaways, except for other 52x's, till one day a 500 blew by me in a XC race. Luckily he got hung up in the MX section later. He was doing great in that section, I think that he just mis-timed something.

I have the Doma can. I had the exact same experience with the jetting! It really is like the stock jetting is for a race can. The Doma is not tapered. I feel i picked up about the same-1-2 hp...but the real advantage is the bike revs a lot faster, and there is less backpressure.

For sure the 510 could use a few more ponnies. I got outdragged by a CR500 yesterday...nothing i could do. Time for a 540cc kit!

Eww! 540 kit? Who makes that? ?

I have the straight core from bi-gun on order, and the taper core from R&D also on order.

Have taken stock system apart.

Will see what works best and also if it can be made easily.

Looks like the sparky will be used also as an alignment part.

Just need to cut off end cap and attach new core. Repack.

will know more when I recieve parts.

I don't think anybody is doing a big bore for 510 yet. The 510 & 450 cylinder is on it's limit for a 100 mm piston this would give about 532cc.Any bigger would need a special bigger cylinder.There is no room in the crankcases for a longer stroke.

I think the real performance gains can be met with bigger valves.The new generation 450/510 only have 33mm inlet valves.From checking the head I think it is possible to fit 34.5mm valves.

To put this into perspective the the old SOHC 510 & 570/610 had 35mm inlet valves!

Husky on their works bikes run a big valve head called the S2 which has 36mm inlet valves the same size as what the CRF's run.

Without the valve area you will never get the power.This is what the top Husky in the UK told me when the 1st 400 arrived back in early 03.He was quite dissapointed as the standard heads lacked the room for decent sized valves.

The S2 head is available from Ferracci if you enquire.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed Taper Core Today.

Piece of cake.

Take pipe apart, drill out rivets at tail piece.

Cut off old core from tail piece leaving about 3/4"

of pipe welded to tail piece.

Slip new core over 3/4" stub,use silcone to adhere.

Rivet tail piece back on can. Pack in sound packing,

I cut of the factory spark arrestor since there is a screen at tail section of new core.

Screw front cap on, Install pipe and Haul A$$

Sounds awsome. Will ride tomorrow.

$80.00 for a new race pipe with spark arrestor, Bet it is about 95db

:applause: Send me your pipe and $300 and I will do for you.