Sign in to follow this  

Taylor Park camping

Hey all,

I'm gonna be at Taylor Park the 15th and we're looking for camping

spots with trees. I've stayed on Italian Creek and in Dinner Staion CG,

so I have a pretty good idea what they're like. What's the camping like

up Texas Creek and Pie Plant roads? Is there any shaded camping

pullouts as you get up in the tree line that's big enough to get a pop-

up camper, a few vehicles and tents into?

Thanks,

Derek

Yeah TC is good with quite a few spots, but not very centrally located trailwise. Ya might consider Springcreek road and resevoir area.

I agree, Spring Creek is more centrally located, but looking at the map, I'm not sure of being able to put together some good loops, especially not knowing what the status of some of those trails are. Like Flag creek, Bear creek, Grassy, Rosebud, Deadman, Doubletop, Block & Tackle, Hunters Hill, East Brush creek, and Ferris, just name a few. I'll keep watching for trail reports.

Trails east of Cement Cr are open.

Trails west of Cement Cr and north of Waterfall are snowblocked.

The snow is melting rapidly and more trails will be open by the time you get here, unless you bring TimV, and then we'll get a snow storm on Monday, so you might as well stay in Texas 🙂

No, the guy I have to worry about causing a snowstorm is DennisM. He came up with me back in '01 for the fest. Remember this:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/21190107/142375300AdGFrd

http://community.webshots.com/photo/21190107/21193446RLVsLpJISg

So, what is Mosca CG near Spring Creek res. like? Or any other suggestions for camping on or near Spring Creek road?

Derek

The snow is melting rapidly and more trails will be open by the time you get here, unless you bring TimV, and then we'll get a snow storm on Monday, so you might as well stay in Texas 🙂

Mosca CG, on Spring Creek Reservoir (west of Taylor Park about 10 miles), is very well located for access to trails west of Taylor Park; 12 sites - reservations. $12/night, extra vehicle $6/night, 8 persons/site limit.

There are seven primitive camp sites in the area that I estimate could hold a total of 30-40 camping units (truck, van, camper, etc). The sites are along FR744 for a distance of about 1.5 miles in the immediate area north and south of Mosca CG. I estimate each site could hold 6-8 units each.

Good night,

I personally cleared timber off of Bear Creek, Reno Ridge and Cement Mt Trails. Deadmans is good to go. Creek crossing at the bottom still a litte deeper than normal.

Thanks Buddy. I'd like to get out there to help out sometime. I'll drop a line.

Hey Rick, on your website for the Timberline loops, you suggest riding the Timberline trail south to north. I've always heard it's easier north to south. Which is correct?

Hey Rick, on your website for the Timberline loops, you suggest riding the Timberline trail south to north. I've always heard it's easier north to south. Which is correct?

I have done both from the south end north and from Pieplant south. If you have never done Timberline before, start from Mirror Lake and go north. If you need more abuse I dare you to start at Pieplant and go south. No wait, I double dog dare you. Its kind of like rubing a cats hair the wrong way. Its doable, but you will never forget it. 🙂

I've only ridden the section north to south starting from Cottonwood pass road I think it was. Wasn't bad.

Thanks tho, we'll try it south to north.

Well I've had plenty of cats in my time and have rubbed all of them the wrong way at one time or another. lol

Its kind of like rubing a cats hair the wrong way. Its doable, but you will never forget it. 🙂

Like Terible Ted used to say " I make the ***** purr with the stroke of my hand". 🙂 Seriously though, if you ride the north section I would suggest starting at Cottonwood Pass and go north. This will take you down hill on some sections I would not like to go up again. The north part of TL is a lot nastier than the south end. Eat your wheaties before you go and wear all the armor you got. 🙂

I find TL is not that bad from S to N all the way to Texas Creek. That's where it starts getting Gnarly. Rode it from Pieplant S 2 weeks ago to TC...OMG