Sign in to follow this  

Cleaned Carb Bike still wont run right

Ok I was told it was probably either my valves or carb being clogged making my bike hard to start and not idle. Well I checked my vavles a while ago and they were in spec but the exhaust was .008 which was the tightest it could be and still be inspec but it was in spec. Well I cleaned my carb took the jets out they seemed fine but I blew compressed air through them anyway and put it back together and it still wouldn't start. Sometimes it wont start at all but most times it will if you give it a slight bit of gas not a lot though just a little it will eventually start. I used to just hit the button and it would fire not touching the throttle like the manual says to start it. It also still won't idle when you let off the gas it just cuts off. I did notice a while ago if you ride it a long time it started idling better but I haven't ridden it long enough to get it to do it again. Any ideas what else could be wrong? It sat for 2 months or so I rode it once it ran fine then it sat for another 2 months or so and rode it other than the battery being dead and me having to start it with a battery charger I didn't notice a problem but then the next weekend it started acting up a friend rode it and we still had to use the battery charger to start it but it wouldn't hold a charge at all even after it running a while but the next day after he rode it I was on my quad riding with him the next day I noticed all these problems maybe that day though. I also noticed today flames shot out the exhaust trying to start it. It usually smokes a fair amount right after starting when I do get it started. I don't think it ever did this before. Any ideas what it could be?

Not to be a wise ass check your air filter plug and plug wire...

did any thing climb in your exhaust and make a nest????

If you give me more imfo I might be able to help...

GOOD LUCK...

Tried new plug haven't checked plug wire and my air filter I thought might be the cause because it was very dirty I hadn't cleaned it in a while but I sprayed most of the dirt off and even tried it without it and still had the problems. I don't know if anything is in my exhaust I tried looking today but couldn't see I will try to see tonight when it's dark with a flashlight. What kind of info do you want? The bike is a 2000 DRZ400E Yoshimura exhaust. Quite a few other mods but I don't think any of them should have anything to do with this. The exhaust logo did have a rivet come out and a slight air leak there but I don't think it would matter as it ran fine for a week or two without the rivet in there I just haven't gotten a chance to put a new one in.

When you cleaned the carb did you clean it inside by taking it completely apart and using carb cleaner to blow out the passages???

is the carb vented correctly? Meaning able to breath.

If it runs by using the accelerator pump your carb is plugged up inside somehow and it needs a real clening.

Is your valve timing correct??? This is very important to know!!!!!

keep feeding me imfo I'll do my best to help....

1st make sure the battery is fully charged and it passes a load test. If the battery is ok and keeps going dead then there is a problem in the charging system.

Also >> How old is the fuel? Could be the gas passed its potency level. If so drain the tank and fill it with fresh fuel.

Old battery died and would charge up but finally got to where it wasn't I replaced that and now it won't run this batter holds a charge fine. The fuel sat in it for a while but we ran a tank or two through it of fresh fuel so it should have fesh fuel. I just blew air through the jets and made sure thery wernt plugged up what else do I need for cleaning the carb. I may just end up taking it to a dealer as I'm tired of messing with it.

What year DRZ ?

Also >> Does it have lots of miles on it or has it been to hell and back ?

2000 400E. I don't know how many miles I bought it about 1 and a half years ago maybe 2 years ago I don't know when I put some on there probably haven't changed the oil as much as I should but I have changed it and didn't ride it all that much.

When you have running problems and your pretty sure it's the carb you have to really go deep and clean all the passages and ports as stated by fish. Often times in not just the jets that get clogged . You have to take it all apart and blow Carb cleaner thru each port then compressed air. doing this over and over usually frees up any tarnish in the port. Make note that the carb cleaner comes out the other side of the port when you blow it thru. If its just trickling out the other side keep cleaning until its spraying. Be sure to remove the air screw as well and clean it out along with the pilot circut, you have to put it back in to get the cleaner to go all the way thru the port so remember. You most likely just need to clean it better.

Just my $.02 but focus on the pilot air circuit, or air circuit or whatever. Mine did the same thing before, after letting it sit for way too long. TUrned out the air circuit(s) were clogged. Had to run a tiny wire through and spray the sh*t out of it to clean everything out.

After that, ran like a champ. OF course, now it's sat for another few months....gotta do it again. Or install the FCR that's on it's way 🙂

Good luck,

Michael

'00S