Sign in to follow this  

The beginning of a project... it will yeild no fruits

I bought an 83' XL200R for $400 a few months ago, just got into riding, and am now ready for a bigger bike. I have decided that it's not worth selling the XL200, because I won't get shit for it, so I'm going to restore it. It needs all new wiring, blinkers, horn, batter, and some new plastics. It could use a rebuild on the engine, but I'm just focussing on cosmetic and body stuff first.

I'll keep ya updated on how this goes (Keep in mind that I'm only 15, and it might take me a while because I don't get allowance and have to find ways to pay for this crap)

http://photobucket.com/albums/y96/Spartian_Soldier/?action=view&current=Fam010.jpg

I won't be able to get much money out of this, so this project is basicly just a cure for boredome 🙂

thats a really clean bike. you could get the plastic renewal kit that they sell in dirt riders magazine, i wanna say its made by clarke or someone, that should freshen the appearence of the bike up. as for blinkers, if your gonna use it as a dirtbike you'll waste money on it. if it needs a rebuild you should get that, if not then just freshen the plastic up.

Cool. Thanks for the tip about plastic. I was a little worried about how I was going to get those. I had my engine checked out by my uncle, and surprisingly, I was wrong about the engine... it was already rebuilt before I bought it. I feel stupid. I'll need a new tank too, or just a really stong plunger XD. other than that, all I can find is little things... a lot of little things. It's pretty fun. I've bought a new Dunlop nobby for the back, and now have an owner's manual to help me with the electrical issues. That's about it for now.

That thing is pretty clean for a 20+ year old entry level bike. Seems like those things are either super clean or beat absolutely to death...not much in the middle. You can call Ceet and they may have a cover and some new foam for ya, Id bet an XR cover and foam could be made to work. Its what I put on my XL when the stock stuff died...worked pretty good.

Some black spray paint for the motor and a paint job on the frame, it'd be a nice little bike again. Not that its not now! Its worth fixin IMO.

STOP. Your bike is very clean that bike doesnt need to be restored. On the outside it only looks like it needs a seat cover and maybe some high heat black paint on the exhaust. If you get fully carried away into restoring something, you can hardly ever get your moneys worth out of it.