Sign in to follow this  

Leaking petcock (fuel valve)

My Stock DRZ400s petcock has started to leak. It is tough to tell but from what I can see it does not leak when the RPMs are higher than idle but it leaks at low RPMs. Also it does not leak when the engine is not running. The leak appears to be comining from the fuel outlet pipe and runs down the fuel line and drips from it. I have taken the petcock apart and can not see anythign wrong. I replaced the fuel line and that did no good. Any ideas? thanks Paul pschiess1@yahoo.com

Mine leaked but it did it while parked. I soaked the rubber gaskets in brake fluid and put it back together and bought some replacement gaskets to replace them. One year later there still in the package they came in.

The petcock on my S started leaking last year. It turned out there was a tiny rip in the gasket inside, preventing the vacuum from forming. It leaked when it ran, but not while shut off (i.e. only while fuel was flowing). I ended up buying a new petcock since Suzuki doesn't sell a replacement gasket. I've heard of people cutting their own gaskets, but I didn't want to mess around during prime riding season. One thing I noticed is that fuel sure is a peculiar fluid - it instantly soaks the surrounding areas making it very hard to see where the actual leak is coming from. I had a hard time deciding whether it was really the petcock or the fuel line (the tear in the gasket was tiny and hardly visible) - so I replaced the fuel line first. Then when that didn't solve it I decided it must be a torn gasket in the petcock and replaced that.

Good luck to ya!

(Signal - you mentioned you bought replacement gaskets. Where did you get those? Did you cut your own or did you actually find some designed for the petcock.)

The vibration from the motor is shaking your go go juice out. Try a little permatex. It's a little messy, but it worked on my CBR. Besides how often do you have to tear down your petcock?

What year bike? The fuel line could be out of shape or have a small tear in it at the end. You could pull the line off, inspect and cut a small piece off the end if it is bad. I have done it before on the Thermostat end of a radiator hose before. Of course it was old and gets real hot so the rubber dried out and split

Good luck

I took the petcock totally apart and cleaned it. After careful reassembly it still leaked. I used some silcone sealant (purchased at Camping World - the RV store of all places) to seal all around the edge and let it cure. I rode two days of off road all around Lake Tahoe and it never leaked a drop. I will order a replacement petcock just to be safe but it will be interesting to see how long this stuff holds up. So far I am really impressed with this stuff. It will now reside in my tool box. I think I will see if it will hold my graphics on the tank since nothing else will. It is clear so should look fine.

It is worth checking the brass outlet pipe if that is where you think it may be leaking from. If someone in the past has cut the fuel pipe off using a sharp blade, it is possible that there is a small "scratch" along the length of the brass spigot. This will allow fuel to track along the scratch and cause a leak. I have had this before on a car, no matter how tight you clamp the pipe it will still leak. If there is a mark along the brass section try removing it with fine wet and dry paper and then T-Cut or similar.

Neil. :applause: