Sign in to follow this  

How to get bikes ready for dune riding??

Next Saturday, my dad and me are taking the YZF and KXF down to the silver lake sand dunes! I already have the flags and paddle tires. Is there anything special to do to the bikes? I know I will put fresh oil in both bikes before we head down, is that a different type or thickness I should run in them? Right now, I run 10W-30 in both bikes.

Think about richening your jetting. You will be running the bikes harder than you will believe in the sand. And airfilters must be perfectly oiled/installed or your motor will suck sand. Have fun, I rode Glamis for years and its a blast.

you might want to get some filter skins to make sure that you dont get any sand in your motor.

use a cheap chain and sprocket set. get some air filter foam to cover the opening of your air box with.

You'll have to trim the splashguard. On most bikes, the paddle will hit it and destroy it. Better to trim it before it cracks in all the wrong places making it worthless.

Check all the bolts on the bike after the first day. The paddle will vibrate things like they've never been vibrated before.

Be prepared to abuse your bike. After 6 straight days of paddles in the dunes, my rear wheel bearings were shot (they were getting old anyway, but it sure finished them off in a hurry.) An old front sprocket could also meet its demise. My buddy learned this the hard way.

A brand new front soft terrain tire will be appreciated.

Yep the bearing thing is the biggest problem with sand riding. My cousin's husband killed the bearings in the back of his CR in one trip. One trick is to find a bearing shop if you do need new ones, he got new rear bearings for a couple bucks a piece and the shop wanted $40.