Sign in to follow this  

Xr 400-trx 400 Question.......

Does anyone actually know if the Honda TRX 400 Quad motor will bolt right in the XR400 frame?

Any mods required?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Please no guesses or maybe it shoulds by any 15 year olds...

Thanks

What you got against 15 year olds? Im 15. Wanna test my knowledge? Go ahead.

Yeah OK buddy.

The motor is not the same on the bottom end. The head is the same, but the 400ex has the whole electric start system.

...and the electric start system can be adapted to the XR4. I don't get your point.

XRDEZRAT my experience with just working with swapping different model year XR250 motors, I can say with 95% certainly there will be a snag somewhere. The severity of the snag...who knows 🙂

If you're just looking for electric start I would look into finding a blown 400EX motor and ebay and use it for parts.

...and the electric start system can be adapted to the XR4. I don't get your point.

XRDEZRAT my experience with just working with swapping different model year XR250 motors, I can say with 95% certainly there will be a snag somewhere. The severity of the snag...who knows 🙂 .

XR250rdr,

you can't help yourself, that is the kind of pessimism I would expect from an engineering major (just kidding).

Yeah, if the e start parts will bolt right up, how much can they differ?

I think the old XL 350 R motor cases were different than the ATC 350 X of the same era (mid 80's), might have been due to a counter balancer, not sure.

I bet someone out there knows for sure about the 400's though.

I think the entire left hand crankcase is used in the E-start conversion (You will have to look in up to find out for sure). So if that fits to the XR's right side case, surely the motors would have to be close to identical? I think if you looked up what is used in the conversion that will help you to work out which parts will bolt in.

Randy, I can't tell you about enigne mount compatibilty or if the TRX400 engine would fit in a XR400 chassis, but here's some info about converting an XR400 engine to electric start using TRX400EX stuff. The info is after the pictures of this trick aluminum frame XR400 e-start conversion.

Becktell_Bike_1.JPG

Becktell_Bike_2.JPG

Becktell_Bike_3.JPG

Becktell_Bike_4.JPG

Becktell_Bike_5.JPG

Becktell_Bike_6.JPG

Becktell_Bike_7.JPG

becktell_bike__8.JPG

*** FROM BBR ***

To convert your XR400 engine to electric start

takes about $2,000 in parts alone. The following is a list of parts

required, all from a TRX400EX 4-wheeler: crank shaft (Honda

doesn't sell a left side separate), counter balancer, flywheel, starter

gears, starter clutch, alternator, left side cover, starter gear cover,

left side cover bolts/stud/dowels, starter motor, ignition switch,

wiring harness, White Brothers 400EX rev box, voltage regulator,

ignition coil, solenoid, starter button (kill button for CR/XR works

great), and gasket kit for XR.

This was the brain child of Kevin Becktell and Don from 'Don and

Sparks and Sons Honda Kawasaki.' For more information, you can

contact Kevin via Email at kevinb4stk@hotmail.com or

Don at 'Don and Sparks and Sons Honda Kawasaki'

route 33 East, Oblong, IL 62454

(phone) 1-800-543-5337

Look in the new issue of dirtbike. They stuffed a 05 400ex motor into a 98 honda xr400 frame. Now the xr400 has e-start and reverse. This is what they said about swapping out the motors : The top motor mount had to be relocated, a bracket to hold the battery has to be fabricated. They said it wasnt an easy project. Then again from what they said they had to do doesnt sound very hard.

XR250rdr,

you can't help yourself, that is the kind of pessimism I would expect from an engineering major (just kidding).

🙂 I had a brain fart there. I got you confused with XR4DEZ for a minute there. Any of the 'snags' I've run into you would laugh at. I know, I've seen all the goodies in your garage. 🙂

Look in the new issue of dirtbike. They stuffed a 05 400ex motor into a 98 honda xr400 frame. Now the xr400 has e-start and reverse. This is what they said about swapping out the motors : The top motor mount had to be relocated, a bracket to hold the battery has to be fabricated. They said it wasnt an easy project. Then again from what they said they had to do doesnt sound very hard.

That sounds about right up Randy's alley. 🙂

And for the record I didnt think the e start needed the 400EX crank. 🙂

Thanks for the info and links guys.....

That is what I had in mind.

I have a brand new 04 CRF 250 R complete rolling chassis and wondered if I could stuff a 400EX motor in there. I know I would have to make a new frame cradle (among many other things).

I would use the 04 model TRX motor, I don't want reverse.

You can buy leftover 04 TRX 400's in L.A. pretty cheap.

Then just sell all the unused parts on ebay. New 400 quad parts sell really well on there.

Hello Gadsan,

long time no see.

Thanks for the links.

XR250rdr,

how is your project bike?

You better not tell me that you haven't done that rear suspension & brake mod yet.

🙂 I'm pathetic. Every time I have enought time to do it I dont have any money and every time I have enough money I dont have enough time. I blame it on college. So this summer I decided rather than being lazy I'd work full time.

So I'm looking to get started on it this weekend maybe. After I ride tomorrow though.

I was looking to get in touch with you pretty soon, I may need a couple small parts turned. I'll let you know.

The electric start with reverse xr400 originated from Modesto Honda just in case you want to get more details. It is owner Phil Ray's personal bike and he is always happy to talk about his Honda projects.

From what I can gather from others doing XR400 electric start conversions in Australia (the mod is quite common), the engine bolts up the same as the trx one, but the bottom end is a little wider (10-15mm) due to the extra gear etc for the e-start porking it out. The real time consuming part is modifying the wiring loom, mounting a battery, starer switch, solonoid etc.

Im considering this Mod on my XR400 and already have a TRX bottom end. My question is what needs to be modified on the wire harness. On the post about the BBR bike it says you need a new harness. I'm sure I could figure it out if I think about it enough. Wish I would have read this thread before the bike went away. Lots more parts I left on there that I need. :bonk::applause:

Geez.....a thread from 10 years ago! The 15yr old from post #2 can now be considered an adult!

• Like 1