Sign in to follow this  

Spark Arrestors?

My racing association's next couple of events got hit with a USFS spark arrestor requirement due to the extreme fire conditions surrounding the Las Vegas area. I am under the impression that many of you have to deal with this on a regular basis. I would be grateful for any information that I could share on my message board about your solutions to this issue. I am also aware that many bikes come from the factory with them, it is the aftermarket pipes and closed course bikes that don't that I am concerned with (4 and 2 stroke). Thanks 🙂

ps. sound regulation is not a concern for these events.

I dont know if there is a solution to this...its a hard battle to fight.

I suggest a FMF Q series or Pro Circuit Type 496. All meet USFS standards.

I'd get a stock YZ400/426 pipe and get the PMB end cap with the spark arrestor.

if it is a 2 stroke, get an fmf turbine core 2

4 stroke, buy a spark arrestor end cap (bbr, fmf, promoto billit)

most spark arrestors will have a decibel rating of 102db or lower. I have heard some good things about White Brothers E2. That one has an interchangeable tip to remove the spark arrestor and use it as a closed circuit pipe. The cheapest four stoke pipe I found is the FMF Q series. My buddy just bought one and it is quiet and it gives it a little extra ummph. Two stroke spark arrestors I really only know about the FMF and the Pro-Circuit pipes. They are priced about the same but I have always bought FMF for some reason or another.

I would personally buy some screen that if similar to spark arrestor screen, and figure out a way to put it in/on the muffler tip from the inside. It works great, and I have friends that have done it, and they passed the spark arrestor checks.

I would personally buy some screen that if similar to spark arrestor screen, and figure out a way to put it in/on the muffler tip from the inside. It works great, and I have friends that have done it, and they passed the spark arrestor checks.

If you get a ranger that knows what he/she is doing, it won't pass. It must have a "US Forestry Approved spark arrestor" tag on the muffler or spark arrestor insert.

Ride on

Brewster