Sign in to follow this  

Online knobby shopping

Anyone know of a good website to shop knobbies?

One will good descriptions of the tire, its intended terrain, and sizes. Maybe a search function by tire size, rim, or intended terrain?

Looking for 70/100-21 {low profile} and will buy a rear to match, looking for soft terrain traction.

Seems like most online catalogs pack ALL cycle tires into one category, where you have to already know what you want to find it.

Of course, once I figure out what tire I want, I will see if the TT store can get it for me!

Robert 🙂

Just go to each manufacturer's website, and they'll have a selection guide for different terrain, etc. Check out Michelin and Dunlop and Maxxiis (sp?), and that should give you a pretty good idea. I love my Michelin S-12 knobbies. Great soft terrain tire, and not bad on the harder stuff. 🙂

Yeah, the TT store definietly carries most of the tires that you'd want. I generally buy all my dirtbike tires from TT.

One of these days, I will get a bud with a high-speed connection to download the TT catalog to disc for me. The PDF downloads take so long on my dinosaur-dialup! Not a complaint, I realize dialup is probably the minority!

But I am happy to spend my money at TT, no matter where I get the buying info from!!

Good folks, good service, good reputation, good prices!

My only problem is finding the low profile 21 tire, the 80/100-21 Vulcanduro looks like a truck tire on the XR200 I am setting up for my daughter!

Robert

Are you set on finding a low-profile tire? Is it to help lower the bike some or something? The S-12s would work great on the XR200 (I use them on my old XR250 as well as my CRF450), and they won a giant recent soft-terrain tire shootout in one of the dirtbike magazines. 🙂

Call me foolish, but I think the 80/100-21 just looks absolutely huge on the bike. Definitely doesnt appear nimble! The XR200 isnt known for great power, so I thought a little less tire weight up front would be a benefit. The same size tire looks just fine on my XR400, but then it is a much larger bike.

I like the S12, thats what is on my 400.

While function is more important than form, sure would be nice to find both!

Robert

I had a Bridgestone M25 on my XR200. Look down towards the bottom of the page where the bike has 284B on it in the pic of me coming into a turn. Looks small and had great grip in everything I rode in. It prolly wouldn't be good on hardpack, but there wasn't much of that in FL, and I haven't seen much here in MI.

Rocky Mountian ATV's Prices are just plain Cheap.......

Amen, brother!! Bryan or Brian, can you match their price on a rear 120/90x18 S-12 of $51.95 (before s/h)? You guys do offer a 110% low price guarantee...

BTW, for anyone interested, I have a tire size program available to d/l from my web site. I don't agree with the posted conversion for the S-12. A 120/90 is closer in physical size to my 110/100 than the recommended 130/80. Or, is this a case of "We make up our own numbers, so don't compare them to the rest of the industry-standard numbers." Kinda like Dynojet jet numbers...

Bryan or Brian, can you match their price on a rear 120/90x18 S-12 of $51.95 (before s/h)? You guys do offer a 110% low price guarantee...

I don't nickle and dime when it comes to stuff like the huge advantage I've gained from TT over the past years. Choice -- save 5 bucks or learn a tip to help me in the air over a 60' double. Not a hard choice for me. I buy all my medium/high-ticket items like tires through the TT Store. I would have augered in to way too many double landings without TT and GaryS. You gotta show your appreciation to your sponsors and fiends somehow sometime, don't you?

I don't know about anyone else, but I buy from where I get the most for my money. The technical tips and advice on here are priceless, I agree. And since it can't be quantified, I have to pay attention to things that can be, such as how much a dollar buys at Store A vs. how much that same dollar buys at Store B.

Since we aren't paying for the advice on here, I try to give out as much helpful info as I can. Someone needs valve clearance specs? If I have the info, I'll post it. I have received good tips on maintenance, ways to do a job easier, and yes, even riding tips. Hopefully I have posted something that has helped someone.

But, since we are talking buying tires here, let's see about that "5 bucks". RCMC has the Michelin S-12 for $51.95. The TT price (discounted from the printed PU price) is $74.66 - a difference of $22.71. Since TT does offer a 110% price guarantee (I'd be happy with straight price matching, because, yes, I would like to support a site that helps me), I thought I'd ask. No sweat if they don't or can't - I'll just use that $22 to buy an extra tube, some Slime, a pair of gloves, goggles, a few spark plugs, something... Or just save it.

Rocky Mountain Cycle gave me free shipping, buying tires ( 6 fronts and 6 rears). They were cheaper than buying them locally with my 10% race discount. Steny 🙂