Please help me decide what bike I should get

What bike should I get  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What bike should I get

• '01 or '02 KTM 520sx
    • '03 YZ450f
    • 2000+ CR250
    • 2000+ YZ250

I cant seriously cant decide what to get and would appreciate any help, advice etc..

I kind of want a 4 stroke as I have never owned one, but am a bit scared of having to rebuild it.

I don't plan on racing, just aggresive play riding. I am 6'5 and weigh about 250 but am pretty strong and in decent shape. I am coming from a 99 YZ250 if that helps.

I am most concerned with getting a bike that has some room on it, is reliable (at least as much as an MX bike can be) and suspension since I'm big.

Thanks

The intimidator is straight up insane. I might want to ride one in the dunes or desert, but I sure as hell wouldnt want to ride one here in the tight new england woods. I knew a guy here that had a CR500, he raced expert class 250's at the time and he never got out of 3rd, his friends that ATK is 10K and I just dont think I would buy that for 10K.

I am actually going to go look at some stuff today. I found another 01 520sx and I'm going to look at the 03 YZF hopefully. So the KTM's are the biggest room wise? They do feel tall and narrow and I like it

If you are used to 250 two smoke power you'll be a bit under powered with any 250 4 stroke at 250 lbs. So you may want to limit your search to 400's or bigger. Having a play bike you can ride on the road is nice. I ride my DRZ 400 more often than I ever rode any MX only bike. The riding areas are shrinking more and more every day. My DRZ fits my requirements well. It is basically an endro that has a plate.

Here's my two Pennies worth. I currently have an 03 drz 400E. I'm 6'2" 325 lbs, I'm a big boy. I'm now ready for more power and better suspension. I have sat on all the new models coming out now to find what will fit me best and BY FAR, the KTM is the best(for me). The bars are further forward and higher, makes it super roomy and nice for standing, its light, and the 450 exc(so I've read) has unbelievable power thats controlable. oh, and it has a button that makes it really easy to start if you've just bailed or stalled it in some tight single track. My wife doesnt like it because it's home depot orange and a little more spendy. I say "honey, love of my life, what difference does it make what color it is when its covered in mud!!!! ? I say get the KTM or buy my drz so I can get the KTM ?

im only about 170lbs right now and im about 5' 8 or 5' 9 and im comming from a

99 rm 125... i want a better, faster, stronger out of the corners bike that can bring me to the front... even tho its more the rider then the bike...also im looking at contingency with that bike to.. thats why im looking at suzuki.. they pay more then any other factory out there for "racing money"...

i know that the 04 suzuki had some problems but i feel that they will be that shit this year and next 2005 2006 and 2007... they just need ppl to ride them and say there good and thats all it takes...

I got an 03 YZ450F and I'd rather have a 02 YZ250 or 02 CR250R 2-stroke. The CR more for MX, and the YZ for all around riding, CC, and some MX. I feel the YZ has a better motor by far and has good suspension and the tall chasis fits my 6'2" frame better. The CR has showa forks which are better if I land fork first IMO so if I was just doing track I'd get the CR. For the YZ I'd run the motor stock or the CR, I'd get a big bore kit, and maybe balance it while I was at it. The YZ or RM will probably still beat a 270/280 CR, but the chasis and suspension are great on the CR. Why do you think most of the independant FMX guys run CR250R's?

I wouldn't buy a KTM 520SX, I'd get the MXC instead. Also the KTM got WORLDS better in 05, trust me, I have an 04, so I'd get a 05 KTM.

The YZ450F in 03 has a 4 second squirt on the accelarator pump. If you don't chop the throttle at all you won't nottice it, but if you do say while trail riding, you can stall it. I put a auto clutch in mine and it helps to cover up the stall, but I hate the free wheeling down hill. I'd rather have a magura hydralic clutch than the auto clutch. In 02 and older YZF's you can do the B/K mod. In the 03 its harder to do.

Good luck,

The yz 250 is what I would go with. They are reliable and make good power everywhere. I would go with an 2002 because you get a green sticker.

Thanks, but I don't live in CA so a green sticker vs red makes no difference to me. Well I'm pretty sure I am going to go get the 250sx tonight. Its an 05 for an untouchable price, plus I know the guy and he takes really goo care of his stuff.

If you are used to 250 two smoke power you'll be a bit under powered with any 250 4 stroke at 250 lbs.

"a bit" is a huge understatement.

I think you went with the right choice sticking with the 2 stroke :applause: If your used to 2 stroke power then you would have had to go with a 450 or higher 4 stroke bike.

Oh yeah and that intimidator, man ive never heard of that... holy crap if I rode it id probably never take it outta first gear.