Sign in to follow this  

Money money money....

Ok, FINALLY got my piston and bore job back from xr's only. Now here's the deal. My friend who does all the work on my bike is going to be gone for a week and I need this to be put together quick. Does anyone know how much it would be for a mechanic just to put my top end back together with this new piston? Ball park estimate? I also can't do it myself because I lack the necessary tools and my friend has all of those tools. Thanks!

Ok, FINALLY got my piston and bore job back from xr's only. Now here's the deal. My friend who does all the work on my bike is going to be gone for a week and I need this to be put together quick. Does anyone know how much it would be for a mechanic just to put my top end back together with this new piston? Ball park estimate? I also can't do it myself because I lack the necessary tools and my friend has all of those tools. Thanks!
He's going to be gone. Borrow his garage and tools. It's a fairly simple assembly job if you follow the book. Run into a problem, quit working and post up your specific questions. You'll get answers........ right or wrong, you'll get answers.

A shop will probably charge somewhere between 3-4 hours to reassemble at $60.00? per hour.

I think the hardest part is installing the cam and having it timed right. Other than that, its just bolting parts together. Who needs friends when you got thumpertalk right? I say you would be looking at 200 bucks for the shop to do it.

Wow... that expensive huh? I guess I'll call around tomarow and see if in reality it will be that expensive. I don't have a torque wrench though, that's my problem. Also, the installation just seems intimidating.

Quick question Tubo... Did you change any jetting when you did the 77mm bore?

Wow... that expensive huh? I guess I'll call around tomarow and see if in reality it will be that expensive. I don't have a torque wrench though, that's my problem. Also, the installation just seems intimidating.

Quick question Tubo... Did you change any jetting when you did the 77mm bore?

Nope, 135/48 worked excellent. Due to the larger bore I thought I might have to back the pilot down but it's not too rich and working great.

Another way to look at this is, you can get a torque wrench from Sears for around $60.00. A set of metric sockets $30-$40 ($25 or so if you just get the basic set). A set of ratcheting box end/open end wrenches another $40. For less than the labor price you can have a damn nice tool chest of your own. You will also see that this isn't as complex as nuclear psychiatry and you'll have the experience, tools and confidence to do it next time.

I did my work by myself. Im also only 16. I just needed help getting timed right and ended up needing a new cam chain so thats why that part was so hard. Just put it back together in small steps and it goes by fast and easy and less chance of messing up.