Sign in to follow this  

XR75 Question!

I have a 1976 Xr75 it will start up and run for about ten minutes then lose power,start bogging down and eventually stall but if you let it sit for about 20 minutes it will start up again then the same thing happens? any info? thanks ahead of time!

I have a 1976 Xr75 it will start up and run for about ten minutes then lose power,start bogging down and eventually stall but if you let it sit for about 20 minutes it will start up again then the same thing happens? any info? thanks ahead of time!

Clean the carb: Junk in bottom sucking into jets.

Adjust and/or replace the points: Heat up and lose contact.

Adjust valves: Engine gets hot and tight valve starts hanging open.

After that???

has new points valves are adjusted to proper specs from manual and i dont think its the carb thanks for the tips could the engine just be getting worn out?

I smell an upper coil problem. (The bike dies about the time the temp rises to shut the coil down, then starts after it cools...)

I don't have the specs handy, but do a resistance test on it to see if it passes. If it does, then check the stator.

What do u mean by "upper" coil? And i have no clue how to check for resistance im only 15 dont know TONS yet... can you give me a little more info ? thanks alot 🙂

Take the seat & tank off the bike. Under the tank, mounted to the frame, is a little box where the spark plug wire comes out. Take that box off and head to a bike shop. Have them 'check it out.' They will measure the resistance of electricity coming out of the box. A good independant shop should do this while you wait.

Big bikes can be off an ohm or three and still be fine. Little Hondas like yours need to be spot-on for the electrical system to work consistently.

Oh, Yeah i knew what the coil was i just thought there was something on the stator that was an "upper coil" or something, heres the deal though I wasn't getting spark last year and rite now i have a spark plug wire from a car shoved in there with a piece of copper in the end of the wire and it seemed to have work do you think i need a new coil?

...do you think i need a new coil?

Uh, yes. The upper units are designed for the specific ignition behind the flywheel. Cobbling works on cars and farm equipment - not bikes! 🙂

Had a ttr 90 in 2001 but got rid of it... thanks for the advice cr85racer im going to pick one up, so your xr75 was heating up alot to? then eventually die out? I just want to make sure before i order one thanks

yeah, i would ride, and after a while if i got into slower stuff, it would die, then i would have to wait a little bit to kick it over, only to have it happen again. Im not sure if this is your problem, but it was mine. Good luck :applause:

Yeah, it was ok when we were running it in the upper gears, but when we got in the slow stuff, i guess not enough air was getting to it causing it to heat up. We put in the new condensor and it never did it again.