Sign in to follow this  

don't take jetting advice from 10guy

Went to the dyno today and after three hours came away realizing that every time I think the jetting is fine it is way off 🙂

The guy with the dyno hops on my bike and within the second run up shut it down and we started changing things. The float level was too high so we adjusted it to the correct level. Then the 148 main jet that I thought was as lean as I could go turned out to be too rich. Now I'm back all the way down to the stock 142 and needing to get smaller ones yet, he seems to think that a 138 will be where I end up. Then the pilot at 38 was way too lean so we went up to a 45 and he thinks I should try a 48, that is with the coast enricher removed.

I'd also benefit from a set of hotter cams, hint hint.....

In the end I am still not done and won't be until I get some more jets.

On an interesting note....remember I have an auto-clutch so I can't just dump the clutch. I can now pop a wheelie and stop within 15 feet in my driveway,,,,oh that is in second gear with 14/48 gearing. It has some serious snap now. 🙂 Almost afraid to see what else lurks in there.

Wow....looks like good info from having your bike Dyno'ed.

Went to the dyno today and after three hours came away with...

OK... what were the numbers...we all had guesses so what did it pull on your first trip to the truth meter....?🙂 Andrew

I'll go back to the other post to post it....

And he was thinking that dropping a size or even two may help extend out the power before it starts to drop off. I'm going to order the next three sizes 135, 138, and 140. That will complete my set from 135 to 170, the upper ones came in the jd jet kit. Going from 148 to 142 extended the flat hp curve quite a bit, it was really impressive. I wonder what will happen when I go with wilder cams...

My guess is that the porting is responsible for the odd jetting, larger pilot and smaller main. I'm going for a ride tomorrow to test it and will know for sure then but by the seat of my pants on the road with a deathwing rear, and listening to it on the dyno it sure is running a lot more cleanly now...the sad thing is I didn't realize how bad it was before not having anything to compare it to directly.

As I said before, second gear in the driveway (rekluse auto clutch) blip the throttle and the front wheel lifts instantly. That is from a dead stop.

He was not using a ega, do you think I'm too lean on the main?

im sorry to say that he was pretty much guessing.

the main jet im sure is real close only becuase it would run like doo doo if it were too lean.

if the pilot jet were that lean the thing would not have idled.

something definately doesnt sound right.

Well 10guy as far as not listening to you..........I took your advice on my jetting for this rebuild and I think you nailed it. Idles good, doesn't pop on decel, and the throttle response seems great.

Paid a total of $50 for over three hours of this guys time. Can't remember the number of individual runs on the machine though it was well into the double digits. He'd do at least three pulls after every change.

I feel it was a good deal right now at least since my bike appearantly is running better/stronger.

burned,

with the 38 pilot jet it would do a lot of popping on the bottom end, with the 45 it no longer pops and seems to run up and down the rpm range more cleanly. It seems to be stronger in my limited experience with it. We're going out tomorrow afternoon for a ride so I'll know more after....I also have pilot jets in sizes 35, 38, 40 and 45 should I try the 40 instead???

burned,

with the 38 pilot jet it would do a lot of popping on the bottom end, with the 45 it no longer pops and seems to run up and down the rpm range more cleanly. It seems to be stronger in my limited experience with it. We're going out tomorrow afternoon for a ride so I'll know more after....I also have pilot jets in sizes 35, 38, 40 and 45 should I try the 40 instead???

I have never done much experimenting with pilot jets I'm very interested in your results!

Another jetting question here, since a big bore or more radical cams requires a smaller jet with their increased vacuum, would the opposite be true on the pilot circuit. Could the porting be so much that it can't develop enough vacuum to pull the fuel through a 38 pilot jet?

Yes, you got a good deal with a talented operator. So many new generation operators rely only on ega and never develop a "feel' for the bike 🙂

but 4 gas or 5 gas ? will nox tell you anything ,tuning wise ,other than excessive combustion chamber temps ?

when using a EGA your only concerned with CO%.

the accurate way is realtime A/F ratio.